highschool wifi woes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kdtomczak, Oct 17, 2007.

1. kdtomczak macrumors member

i've managed to obtain my highschool's wifi network password. My touch shows i have 2 bars but when i try to go to a webpage it gives me the message that safari cant find tge server.
    any ideas or solutions?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

give up?

more likely than not there's something else in the equation preventing you from loading pages, e.g. mac filtering. And there really isn't much of a way around that.

3. DeXtA macrumors member

I have the same problem. I would just go to another hot-spot, some just don't work on the touch for some reason. My friend had his laptop on him and he could log in to the school wi-fi but I could not on the touch.

4. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

ok, this has nothing to do with your touch and everything to do with the fact that im possitive they filter MAC addresses just so that you pay attention to your school'n boy!

arisian

5. Treben macrumors newbie

Yeah, like the previous poster said, this is probably to do with how your school handles the MAC addresses of wifi enabled devices, and it also might have something to do with the proxy that they (probably) operate.

I know the technicians in my school pretty well so they always help me out with my iBook or whatever if I'm stuck.

Talked to your technicians about it?

6. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

They won't enable anything other than laptops at my college, although we got round that ourselves :p

7. dagored macrumors 65816

Try this. I got it from someone much smarter than me.

Correct DNS settings (using your router as the DNS Server)

To use your router as the DNS server, change the IP Address to match your router’s IP Address. The router’s IP address is 192.168.1.1, so change the DNS server to 192.168.1.1.

IP Address 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.1.1
    DNS 192.168.1.1

Correct DNS settings (using OpenDNS)

If using your router as the DNS server fails, or if you prefer to use a public DNS server, use a DNS server hosted by OpenDNS. OpenDNS is a safer, faster, and smarter way to navigate the internet. To use OpenDNS as the DNS server, change the IP Address to 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

IP Address 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.1.1
    DNS 208.67.222.222

By changing the DNS settings on your Touch to point to either your router or an OpenDNS server, you should able to use your wireless network without any problems.

8. ojx macrumors newbie

well in my school, no matter if you get into the network with either a wire or wireless, you would need to type in the proxy address that the board of education gave them. without having that address, it won't allow any computer browse the web.

9. kdtomczak thread starter macrumors member

so what do i enter in each box in my wifi settings?

IP ADDRESS: school ip?
    Subnet Mask:
    Router:
    DNS:

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Similar thing happened to me today, found a WiFi network called "Jesus Is Lord", it asked for a password, I guessed "jesus" and it let me in! Wouldnt actually let me connect to the net though, so I guess the guy who owned the network wasent that stupid.

11. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

My school MAC filters the whole network so I wont be able to use my touch's internet at school which sucks.

12. Gerard. macrumors member

Hmm. My School actually has a mac. Does this mean that they arent blocking macs? That i will be able to use my touch there?

13. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

14. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

By "mac" people mean MAC addresses which the devices use to identify themselves when they connect to any WiFi network, and a MAC filter will eather only let certain devices in or keep certain ones out by looking at what there MAC address is.

15. fart macrumors regular

solution: pay attention, tax payers aren't paying obscene amounts of money each year to fund your web browsing addiction.

16. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

so true. When I was in high school we just got NETSCAPE installed on our 4 computers in the library and it BLOCKED everything. Forget the wifi.

My question to the OP would be that if someone has mac-filtered there router, my guess is that someone is paying some amount of attention (not a ton) to the router AND the logs. They are going to see a bold, black 'IPOD' connected to it and then you will lose the ability to even have your ipod out in class...

good luck with that