Highschooler and an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KJmoon117, Aug 9, 2007.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on going to the 9th grade and I was wondering if the current baseline iMac (upgraded to 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, etc) would be good for me?

I don't plan on playing much games since I have an X360 but I do plan on to run WoW, Guild Wars, and Civ IV. Most of the time I'll be watching videos, making skate videos w/ my friends, editing photos, doing small Photoshop/Flash, and email plus web browsing.

And is Keynote/Pages/Excel worth it over Microsoft Office? I'm not a hard core Excel user or anything but I do plan on doing presentations, nice documents, and expect to be compatible w/ my PC computers running Office.

Also I do have a strict budget since I plan on returning my Dell and getting a full refund on it (about 1k) and at high school age is the difference between Macs or Windows important? Because my parents keep telling me that Macs are for professionals and not for high schoolers...

My current setup is : 3.1 Windows Rating
    Windows Vista Home Prem. 32-bit (64-bit capable...)
    Intel Core 2 Dual CPU 6320 @ 1.86ghz
    nVidia 7300 LE 128MB
    2GB of RAM (2046MB)
    288GB Hard drive (I think it was 320 on the config. page)
    10/100 Ethernet
    UltraSharp (wtf?) 20" Widescreen Flatpanel
    DVD+/-RW Drive
    2 FireWire400 Ports
    12 in 1 Media Card reader

Thanks,
    KJmoon117

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'm a high schooler at the moment (not in 3 months time, though! :D), and my 1.83GHz CoreDuo MacBook with 1.5GB RAM has served me exceptionally well. I've made several short home movies on it, half a dozen presentations, dozens of documents and prac write-ups, edited several photos, and even played a few games on it.

The only thing that chokes on my MacBook is gaming, but that'd be because it effectively doesn't have a graphics card. The current iMacs would flog my MacBook at all the aforementioned tasks.

As for the office suite, I think you'd be better to get the student edition of MS Office, as the documents created in iWork won't work with MS Office, and there is no version of iWork for Windows.

Macs are for people. Dells are for office workers. Enjoi your iMac! :)

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

The iMac will serve you fine. I'd stick with MS office as even though you can make things look nicer in Pages, I've found it is better if you have Word. It makes sharing documents with PC users much easier.

One note though..

The current release of MS office for Mac (2004) was designed for PowerPC processors, not Intel. Ever since, just about all applications have been redesigned for the Intel chip. MS office has not been made "universal binary" yet and it won't be till the start of next year. That said, it will still run on your new iMac but it won't startup really fast. (I know you already may know that but that is something I always tell potential switchers)

Either way, you'll love your iMac.

Edit: Maybe mention to your parents that some of the Mac's strongest presence today is in education for their ease of use and stability. :)

4. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, but can't I export the stuff in Pages to PDF or Microsofts Word Document?

Also can some one tell me some strong points why Macs rock in education? I know my entire school district uses iBook G4s, G4 iMacs, and very few Intel Macs.

Thanks,
    KJmoon117

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yeah, you can export it to MS word or PDF. I just think it is easier to be able to use the .doc saved file as the one I send to PC users - not having to export anything.

Now that Pages 08 is out, I'd personally reconsider about purchasing it over MS Office. It seems to have a better grip on actual word processing now, not just page design. I'd wait for your new iMac, I think MS office comes as a test drive on a disk and iWork is a free trial away. Give both a shot and see which you like best.

6. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I just thought I'd chime in and say definitely go to the 9th grade, in the long run, it'll be worth it ;)

allison.

7. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still haven't ordered it, I got until August 16-17/07 to return this crappy economy class 520 back to the **** hole it came from...

Two things in the way, the Dell Salesperson who presses the panic button every time I say the word "return" with "Dell" but that can easily be taken care of...

Now my parents, the ones who cares SERIOUSLY about my education and I need to convince them ultimate about how Mac in education better compare to Dell...

LoL, yeah I am definitely going to 9th grade. w/ Senior friends, you can't get egged lawl...

Thanks,
    KJmoon117

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Tell them about the ease of parental controls so they can block WoW, Guild Wars, and Civ IV, Quicktime, iMovie, iPhoto, and Safari while you're supposed to be doing homework. ;)

Also try the "It'll last me through college" argument, because it will. Macs last an obscenely long time if you take care of them. :)

9. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hate to turn this into a little debate but my parents and I are moving to Korea and their MAIN argument is so damn annoying about how the rest of Korea is using Windows XP and Crapista (sorry for you Vista lovers browsing around, I hate that system w/ passion) so there will be no compatibility between the two hardware.

Also there will be no support in Korea (warranties, etc) and if so it will be at a higher cost compare to a Dell or some other crap my parents tries to give me, not that I'm not grateful for the computer it's just their arguments are really old myths... Ever since the whole PowerMac G4 incident, my parents doesn't seem to like Macs...

But I'll have to try the education reasoning w/ them before time runs out...
    My dad's philosophy is that since Dell and other name brand Window computers are so cheap when it totals out (within about 3-5 years and 7 if you are like my dad who just upgrades his Pent 4) just replace it w/ another cheap ass computer lol. It's just my demands of computing are much higher than his which is what he doesn't get... But Macs being strong in education is something I'll have to use against them but what makes them amazing in education?

Thanks,
    KJMoon117

10. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

The iMac will work fine and be good enough for you. You can get Bootcamp for free from apple.com and use your windows office or your dads that way you dont have to buy a mac version. Bootcamp turns your Mac into a PC, you need to restart your computer everytime you want to make a switch between the to OS's. I found Bootcamp useful for playing, WoW for example runs faster on Bootcamp then if i had it on my Mac.

Dont buy RAM from apple, they overcharge for it, you can also get an external hard dirve or use the one you had in your dell for those movies that you will edit since they will take tons os space.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

True story
    I got a G4 mac mini, 2.5 years ago to the day (as of yesterday). In that time, I have never once reinstalled the OS (even after I upgraded the hard drive, I just mirrored it, not reinstalled), and only once did I have to troubleshoot it due to a major software issue. It has never given me any hardware troubles, and it currently sits on the desk in the family room, and it's the primary (and only) computer my family uses. Keep in mind the hardware was outdated when I got it (they had G5 iMac's out when they introduced the G4 mini).

How long have you had your Dell, and you already hate Vista...?

A computer is a tool, which people spend more and more time on these days. If you just wanted it for an hour at a time here or there, get the cheapest $400 computer you can find from wal*mart, and then get another one in a few years when this one breaks. However, you spend so much time with them, you might as well as get something you like.

No one buys a car they're uncomfortable driving, why would you bother spending so much money on a computer you're uncomfortable using? (and if you don't think $400 is a lot, give it to me!)

12. riker1384 macrumors regular

Damn, I never got a new computer until I was in college. The only personal one I had for myself was a hand-me-down SE/30, and that was in the G3 era. Your demands are higher than his and he doesn't get it? I hear you man. It's even worse when you turn 16 though, because then you have to explain why you need your dad to buy you a better car than he drives.

13. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man, I want to do video editing, take on hobbies, and maybe explore future jobs. All my dad does is word processing and powerpoint for his lab...

You're right, I had my Dell for about 1 1/2 weeks (1 1/2 weeks tell I can return it) and it crashed on me couple times due to ZoneAlarm Firewall. Basically, ever since it crashed I can't personalize Firefox any more from the add-ons page.

Thanks,
    KJmoon117

14. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

I used Vista for about 5 minutes before i decided that it wasnt worth using if possible.

As for your situation, My dad is the same way - why spend $2000+ if you can get a computer for $400? Try explaining it to him in a way he'll understand, If he likes cars, say the Mac's the new Lotus Elise that will last years, while the PC's a Toyota or some other car - sure it'll get the job done and drive you around as well, but it'll break down and need to be repaired more then it's worth doing so in the future. Or something like that :)

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I'm in the same position as the OP: going into 9th grade, need my own comupter for a few games, video editing, and, of course, the occasional essay :D. My birthday was just a month or two ago, so my parents said they'd throw in about $100 for my mac, and I've saved an additional $100 in allowance since I sold my Dell laptop (Ughh... lesson learned). My dad happens to be a law professor, and he'll let me use his edu discount. That's another $50-100.

Considering all that, even though it was a little more than I wanted to spend, I'm probably going to get a non-BTO upper-end 20" imac. The reason for that was mainly the video card, because I'm going to have this machine for a looong time, and the video cards :apple: put in the new imacs are already awful enough (what about 3 years from now?).

16. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OMG. I'll be returning my Dell about today, I'll be giving them a call of their life....

However my dad (decision maker) is kind of out of contact since he is creating test problems for this medical school in Korea w/ bunch of other biologists....

So, I rather just dump the Dell and not have a computer then look at this crap when I wake up for the next 3 years... Plus, if you look at Vista w/ the wrong look you better watch your back... Evil stench comes from edge of this cheap plastic...

Thanks,
    KJmoon117

17. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Dude, you're in NINTH GRADE. If it wasn't for the games, you could use an old G4 and have no problems. You don't need a high performance computer, your dad is totally right. You don't have more demanding useage than he does. What do you really need to do? write a report in word? maybe make a powerpoint? You don't do anything in ninth grade that needs any kind of computing horsepower at all.

You just WANT something newer, and faster. You don't NEED even what you already have. Gonna side with your father on this one.

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

It'll be a great computer, but don't expect us to convince your parents if you need their $$$ because honestly it is overkill for a 9th grader. Wait and see what this does to the prices of older machines and pick up one of those.

19. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but I rather just get a refurbished baseline iMac or the current baseline iMac then use Windows Vista... Personally I never really like Windows.

True, word processing or powerpoint presentations doesn't matter if it's Mac or Windows (even if Macs have more features in MS Office) but I don't want to scan for virus and delete things off regedit and such....

I'm not asking for a Mac Pro or Intel 2.8 Extreme iMacs or anything like that. I would however like to get away from Window Vista and settle down in the baseline iMac for Mac OS X system. Also Mac mini really isn't an option since I would have to BYODKM... Oh and I'll be using my own cash.

KJmoon117

20. riker1384 macrumors regular

Don't you already have a 20" widescreen monitor? If so than the Mini might be a better value. I'd go with the new baseline one, since you have to add RAM to a refurb to bring it up to the same amount, so you wouldn't save too much money. I can understand not wanting to have to deal with Windows viruses. If that's still too much, you could get an older used Mini and it would work for everything but maybe games.

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you can export it..sure..but usually when programs export the formatting is a little off. Office for mac would be more accurate.

22. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Not really. Toyotas are among the most reliable while Lotus' are not (see Consumer Reports, a trusted name in independent reviews for over 70 years). Here's an analogy to compare to yours. Toyotas are IBMs/Lenovos, they're not flashy but they'll do what need to be done. Lotus' are Gateways, um . . . they come in a cool box.