Hijacked???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by timsflht, Mar 10, 2009.

1. timsflht macrumors newbie

I hope I am in the right topic. I am very new to the Mac ;), just switched over about a month ago. Twice now, I have had the HDD icon rename itself and now the clock and date is failing to keep accurate time and dates :eek:. This is a Power Mac G5, dual 1.8 processors, 2 gig ram. Also do not have anti virus or firewall, as I haven't been on the net very much with it. I had a time convincing myself to go with the Airport Extreme, but am finally there.
    Thanks for any and all help.

2. SnakeOiler Guest

Sounds like the on board battery is failing.

3. aibo macrumors 6502

If the clock isn't keeping the correct date, it might be time to change the PRAM battery. Not sure what to say about the hard drive renaming itself... I think you might be going crazy. :)

There's really no need to worry about viruses or setting up a firewall.

4. timsflht thread starter macrumors newbie

At 50, I am told am allowed to be a little crazy :D. My wife said that when I got this Mac. She's scared to try it. I'll check the battery. I am enjoying the way this thing runs. Again, thanks for the help and quick response.

5. canonballs macrumors member

With your model, it's a tad early for the battery to be giving up. I'd see if rubbing the battery against the connector pins and reinserting it makes any difference. Does the date reset to something like 1970 or to random values? Does the startup disk revert to "Macintosh HD" or something more sinister?

Hijacking (for terrorist purposes) cannot be excluded out of hand. Have you set up any remote login accounts?

After these words, can your wife be excluded as a suspect?

6. rylin macrumors 6502

lol.
    Just lol.

7. timsflht thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it did come back with numbers and some type of weird sign. Sorry I did not save that info. The time stamp was of 1969. Not sure if wife is innocent, LOL :D. This machine was an off school lease and reloaded with 10.5.6. When I got it home I had to load in my personal info and no there are no other accounts on it.
    You people are great, with quick responses, comments and wit. Love it.
    I wish some of the HD Forums would answer that quick, course they a bunch of bikers, like me.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Is just your hard drive renaming itself or are other folders doing that too? A corrupted system file might be causing that. A fresh reinstall is the cure :).

9. canonballs macrumors member

Was that a one-off occurrence or does renaming persist ? Now if the "true" name of the startup volume contained non-ascii symbols or was very long and your file system was anything other than HFS+ (appears as "Mac OS X" in Disk Utility) then this could have had something to do with it.

Volume structure corruption might also explain that. Before reinstalling I would try to run a diagnostic/repair utility (use Disk Utility if you don't have anything else).

P.S. If we are talking one-off disk name change: have you got a cat? A grudge-bearing cat can and will rename your startup volume.

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I take it's not long been in use, if so I'd suggest a simple reinstall to save time/bother troubleshooting though it sounds like a PRAM battery issue tbh- but like has been mentioned a little early for that, though it does happen.

11. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

In order to check the file system it's never bad to run the Disk utility app: Check the volume and repair the permissions. This program can not solve serious problems but at least you can see if there are any issues with your drive or file system.