Hijacking the sound from another app.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by 1458279, Feb 11, 2016.

1. 1458279 Suspended

If you wanted to hijack the audio from a Chrome window, what API would you use. I want it to be only the sound for a specific app like (Chrome).

What I want to do is to modify the sound level and optionally record it based on a schedule.

I just learning OSX programming and using the NBR Advanced Mac OSX guide, but haven't found anything that covers this yet.

Google searches haven't yielded any results like a tutorial, but it looks like OSX offers some of the same APIs as iOS does.

Thanks for any insight.

2. firewood, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

firewood macrumors 604

This can't be done via any API on a stock (without additions) OS X or iOS system. There are however, 3rd-party add-on kext/extensions and other OS-level audio driver mods than will permit internal audio capture on OS X Macs.

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

So correct me where I'm wrong, but don't the kext/extensions require an internal change to the OS? I remember doing that during an install.

Now if that's the case, I'm confused because the product: Audio Hijack, seems to work without changes to the OS (or at least no changes that I could tell).
    https://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

Basically, I'm thinking of a simple strip-down version of this product. I installed it and it works, but it's far, far more than what I want to do.

4. firewood macrumors 604

IIRC, Rogueamoeba installs (or used to install) a kext (OS kernel extension) as part of their app.

5. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Ok, that's far past my pay grade. Looks like this would be a good project to let pass by, I'll just stick to iOS apps and maybe some simpler OSX apps.