Hikers with Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fyun89, Feb 11, 2017.

1. fyun89 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of getting a rugged silicon case just for hiking, but I'm afraid that my dirty hands (probably smudged with sand when i hike) might still scratch the sapphire glass of my AW SS SB.

Has any of you thought of the same thing and came up with a solution? I don't want a screen film since I cannot take it on and off regularly.. It's super ugly to look at and ruins the minimal look for regular day-to-day.

2. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Sand/dirt won't scratch sapphire...unless sand has sapphire or diamond in it...in which case, you won't need to worry about scratching it because you can buy a new Apple Watch everyday of the week....

3. Kyle76 macrumors regular

Kyle76

Carry a small stylus? You could hang it around your neck.

4. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

I use AW hiking a lot and also when working and no scratches yet. I agree with Thai - I don't think debris on fingers or gloves can scratch the AW - not enough pressure. However protecting the AW against scraping against hard objects like metal, tools and other objects might make sense.

I am amazed at how well my original apple watch has held up - no scratches yet

5. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I kind of like the little dings and dents on my gear that were caused while hiking. When I see them, they remind me of the fantastic hikes on which they occurred. And the great memories of those hikes far outweighs the fleeting disappointment of getting a nick on my watch or a rip in my backpack.

That one way to look at it, anyway. :)

6. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind scratches if my watch was a specific hiking gear.. I absolutely agree with you, japanime. But since I will wear this to business work as well, I'd like to keep it clean as possible.

Mikzn, Thai; Although iPads dont have sapphire glass, I've managed to scratch it with beach sand.. I think it has lower scratch resistance than Apple Watch, but that unexpected experience was very unpleasant..

I think I'm going to try and use Tough Armor cover by Spigen. I think it does what I want it to do. It also has a detachable touch screen protection cover. But I've heard that it's quite flimsy.. We'll see how it performs :)