Hiking boot recommendations.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I hate to hijack a thread, but don't want to start a new thread that is so similar.

Could somebody recommend a decent hiking shoe? I hike the mountain trails in Arizona.

monokakata

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
Freeville, NY
I've always had good luck with Merrell hikers. They have a very wide range of styles (minimalist, low-cut running shoe style, low cut hiking style, ankle-high, and so on).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I'm not a hiker as a hobby, but I have needed to get good quality boots for work abroad, which included trudging in underdeveloped places.

Anyway, for the best part of the past decade, I have used boots made by Meindl, a German company, and found them very good.

Reactions: lowendlinux

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Vasque boots are exceptional. Sold at REI (see items on their website). They are made by a boot maker rather than a shoe maker. A favorite of REI sales staff.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I've owned both Vasquez and Merrell. Both are high quality and strongly recommended.

What I liked about Vasquez was their line of inserts. I have hard to fit feet. Their inserts worked wonderfully and were readily replaced when I wore them out. My boots are very durable and waterproof, but also very heavy. I still wear them for rough terrain or inclement weather.

My current hikers are Merrell low tops, since I mostly day hike with my kids in good weather now. They probably have over 100 miles and are going strong. Minor gripe: the treads love to collect pebbles.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'm not a hiker as a hobby, but I have needed to get good quality boots for work abroad, which included trudging in underdeveloped places.

Anyway, for the best part of the past decade, I have used boots made by Meindl, a German company, and found them very good.
They're nice but my preference goes to Lowa I got a pair of mine back from a resoling and They didn't just resole they replaced the entire foot bed and did it for 60 Euros. But asking what the best hiking boot is is like asking what the best car is. Without use case and terrain it can't be answered.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Ive had a couple pair of Keens that have treated me fantastically.

No bad brands have been named in this thread. Visit your local REI and ask questions.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've had good experiences with Hi-Tec hiking boots. My brother in law introduced me to them years ago. He's an avid outdoorsman and used them for backpacking, fishing, hiking, etc.. I found them to be both durable and comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.