Hiking boot recommendations.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sdilley14, Jun 13, 2015.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I hate to hijack a thread, but don't want to start a new thread that is so similar.

Could somebody recommend a decent hiking shoe? I hike the mountain trails in Arizona.

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've always had good luck with Merrell hikers. They have a very wide range of styles (minimalist, low-cut running shoe style, low cut hiking style, ankle-high, and so on).

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm not a hiker as a hobby, but I have needed to get good quality boots for work abroad, which included trudging in underdeveloped places.

Anyway, for the best part of the past decade, I have used boots made by Meindl, a German company, and found them very good.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Vasque boots are exceptional. Sold at REI (see items on their website). They are made by a boot maker rather than a shoe maker. A favorite of REI sales staff.

5. fleabite macrumors member

fleabite

I've owned both Vasquez and Merrell. Both are high quality and strongly recommended.

What I liked about Vasquez was their line of inserts. I have hard to fit feet. Their inserts worked wonderfully and were readily replaced when I wore them out. My boots are very durable and waterproof, but also very heavy. I still wear them for rough terrain or inclement weather.

My current hikers are Merrell low tops, since I mostly day hike with my kids in good weather now. They probably have over 100 miles and are going strong. Minor gripe: the treads love to collect pebbles.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

They're nice but my preference goes to Lowa I got a pair of mine back from a resoling and They didn't just resole they replaced the entire foot bed and did it for 60 Euros. But asking what the best hiking boot is is like asking what the best car is. Without use case and terrain it can't be answered.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, some terrific recommendations on here - and some worth looking into for myself when the time comes to purchase my next pair of boots.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Ive had a couple pair of Keens that have treated me fantastically.

No bad brands have been named in this thread. Visit your local REI and ask questions.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You can add another in favor of Vasque: solid boot and quite comfortable.

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've had good experiences with Hi-Tec hiking boots. My brother in law introduced me to them years ago. He's an avid outdoorsman and used them for backpacking, fishing, hiking, etc.. I found them to be both durable and comfortable.