hiking/camping with macbook pro (and storing it in a car)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seenew, Aug 14, 2012.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm leaving in two hours for a road trip out west with some friends. We're flying to LA and renting a small SUV to drive around the southwest to different camping and hiking spots. We're all three photographers so we want to bring a laptop or two, but not sure how it'll work out (realize I should have posted this earlier).

Anyway, our tentative plan is to leave them in the car when we go hiking camping, and download photos while we travel to the next spot.
    However, it is summer, and it gets hot.
    I know the specs say don't store it hotter than 113F, so we're a little worried about leaving them in the car. Cracking a window seems sketchy since cars get robbed at state parks all the time.
    We're not going to be camping anywhere where the temps are supposed to be more than I think 102.. (originally planning to check out Death Valley, but now I think we're just passing through since the highs are in the 120's F)

I guess I don't have a specific question, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. We don't want to carry them with us since they weigh like 4-5lbs and are also kind of fragile to be lugging around in a backpack with other gear.. Though we have foam inserts from photo luggage we could use..

please reply ASAP! Thanks everyone!

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Maybe just buy some additional memory cards?

But if you must, storing it in the shade, in your car will probably be alright.

3. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

You could put the computers in the trunk, with a cooler to keep them cold.

4. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Thanks guys! Anyone else, keep ideas coming! I'll also check back when we land in LA.

I love the Internet, haha. Just being able to tap everyone's minds for ideas you might have never come up with, even if they're simple. :p

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Cars can and do get extremely hot inside if caught in direct sunlight, as it`s an SUV i would use a large cool box as this will insulate the computers from the heat of car and is a relatively cheap solution.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

extra memory cards sounds much better easier lighter and everything else than bringin a mbp just to empty the cards onto

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Just put them under the seat or something. Maybe even one of those reflective shields you put across your windscreen. It really can't be hard for a few adults to think of how to keep something cool...right?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I think babies and pets are proof that cars don't stay cool in 102 degree heat.

9. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Just get a few more memory cards. I personally wouldn't leave a laptop in a car for various reasons.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

No ****. Nobody's gonna hide a baby in a cooler or under the seat though...I hope.

11. Idefix macrumors 6502

Take the batteries out of the laptops, enclose them in ziplock freezer bags in the cooler. It's the batteries that suffer because of the heat.

The laptops themselves will not suffer from the heat, the only thing to be cautious about is taking a hot laptop into air conditioning because of humidity. Give the laptops ten minutes or more to return to ambient room temperature.

Going from Brooklyn to high summer temps in the southwest begs the question of who thought up this vacation?

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Asking "It really can't be hard for a few adults to think of how to keep something cool" when clearly you can't keep a closed car with the windows rolled up in 102 heat is a bit inane in my opinion, but to each their own. But hey, you're an adult, how should the OP do it?

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Assuming the batteries are removable....

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I already made suggestions. The undersides of car seats stay very cool because it's not being affected by direct sunlight. Or a reflective blanked, or just hide it under loads of stuff. Not hard really.

15. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I found a baby once....