Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
When scrolling through the craigslist computer section like I usually do, I came upon a listing for an early 2006 MBP, listed for $1,200. Being the jerk I am, I decided to send him an email telling him that the price was to high. This ensued:

Me:

I don't want to buy it, as I have my own already. I have some advice to offer however, as no one would buy that computer at that price. You can get the last gen one from less than 6 months ago with that price. I know this email may seem offensive, but I only offer serious advice; you will only get someone to pay you that price if they are an idiot, or the money is counterfeit.

thanks, just trying to help

His response:

Well first of all, even the most recent 15 inch Macbook Pro starts at
$1999. See link below. And that's before increasing the hard drive or
adding memory. And the new ones are super cheap aluminum and break the
first time it bumps into anything.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

You're obviously thinking of the Macbook, which is NOT the same thing as
the Macbook Pro. So get your information straight before you harass people.

How bored and pathetic does one have to be to send e-mails on Craigslist
just to piss off people? Get a life, dude.

My response #1:

I happen to have "one of those new ones", and know it is not cheaply built. As for your price, if you are not willing to listen, you will find out by having to lower your price and getting tons of offers for $800.

His response #2:

My item is listed for $700 less than the same product is currently being
sold for. If someone wants a brand new one, then I suggest they buy it on
Apple.com. If someone wants to save $700 for the same item in great
operating condition, it would be their choice to buy it from me.

That said, this really is none of your business. There is no law on
Craigslist that you have to post an item for a certain percentage of what
it is worth. And if there was, it would not be your job to enforce it. It
is not entirely necessary that I sell this computer. If I was selling it
for a quick buck, I would have posted it for 10 dollars.

Good day.

My response #2: (I got very frustrated, lol)

I am not trying to push you around or tell you what to do. I don't claim to enforce "rules" on craigslist. The laptop you are selling IS NOT worth what you charge. You say that I can get the same one for $700 more from Apple? What I see is this model of laptop being sold for $700-800 on eBay, because the newer MacBook Pro's and this are two totally different machines. Since the 22 months you bought it, storage capacities have quadrupled, processors are about three times as powerful, and are running the latest OS X 10.5.7. Do not sit there and try to tell me that it is the same model I would get from Apple, as it most clearly is not, and won't fool someone on the hunt for a Mac Laptop. With this price, I could easily go to ebay with my debit card, buy a 4 month old one with 4x the power/space, WITH remaining AppleCare. I don't mean to sound rude, but 22 months is a long times in computer speak, especially when the laptop is running on a Core Duo, and not the newer Core 2 Duo processor. In addition, saying that you bought it 22 months ago for $2,700 is a lie, if you bought it new. This model was only sold new in early 2006, making it much more than 22 months old, and originally sold for $2,499. Do not try to lecture me on models on MacBook Pros, I was at the initial launch of them at MacWorld 2006 in January. My guess is that you will disregard this email, and continue trying to find a sucker to pay that much. My suggestion to you is to put it on eBay on open auction, and let the educated public SHOW you how much it is worth when the listing ends.

Don't take the public as idiots,

Josh

His final email:

Hahaha! You have serious issues. I can't believe you just spent all that
time typing that out.

My final email:

Good Luck.

(no flaming please, I had good intentions I swear!) =P

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i side with the seller.....what concern is it to you again?

if he priced it too high, no one will buy it. if someone does buy it, good for him

why do you care?

why do you care enouugh to argue with him and then post it here? you think we are a reserve army or something and expect us to just side with you:confused:

comedine

macrumors member
May 25, 2009
"How bored and pathetic does one have to be to send e-mails on Craigslist
just to piss off people? Get a life, dude."

I agree. How bored were you? Next time you're on Craigslist have a look under "Lifes" and see if there's one for sale.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The only reason him pricing it too high is of concern to you is if you want to buy it. In which case make him the "reasonable" offer and if he takes it great - otherwise move on.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
'Tis true. I was and am very bored =). As for siding with the seller, I am not trying to flame him or anything. Scrolling craigslist every day and seeing "Power Mac G4-$1700" and "misc. older Mac for outrageous price", just gets to me sometimes, you know?

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
if the seller wants to start high, then he should start high. It's really none of your business. come to think of it, why am i even writing this message?

-END-

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
if the seller wants to start high, then he should start high. It's really none of your business. come to think of it, why am i even writing this message?

-END-
Agree with most remarks...but the guy selling the MBP sounded like an idiot. A 2006 model is not the same as the current model.

Anyway, who cares

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
what a complete arse! i hate people that think you are an idiot about mac things.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Whats wrong with everybody here?! take it easy! The guy was bored, did the above, and then with good intention posted the thread to make members laugh (in the process gave a valid advice in sarcastic way to the seller) which i think it was funny :p.

I wouldn't mind hearing more OP ;) and please guys chill out :cool:

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Whats wrong with everybody here?! take it easy! The guy was bored, did the above, and then with good intention posted the thread to make members laugh (in the process gave a valid advice in sarcastic way to the seller) which i think it was funny :p.

I wouldn't mind hearing more OP ;) and please guys chill out :cool:

Dude I agree with you but thats how people are on this forum...they get that courage to be an Ace online b/c they can...in person, they'd probably laugh.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I totally agree with your commentss

I think you should email everyone on eBay who thinks is ok to sell used MacMini's based on a design from 2007 for £50 less than the new model retails for or £75 MORE than apple were selling off the old stock of 1.83Ghz models when the 2009 Mac Mini came out in the case of the lower end model.

I'm sure someone will listen eventually.

Then start on the used Mac Pro people listing the 3Ghz Model for £1550 (nearly £130 more than a brand new configure to order quad 2.8 system from 2008. It's equal performance wise). Or the people being even less realistic and trying to charge more than that for a used 2008 quad 2.8 system.

a LOT of people completely take the p*** on what they're charging for used macs and if people are willing to pay a fraction less than brand new prices or in some case, MORE than brand new prices just because someone's fitted £30 worth of after market RAM or £50 worth of after market hard drive then there's far more idiots in the world than anyone ever imagined.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Don't forget the PowerMac G5s on the UK ebay. Some people want £650 for a 1.8 or 2Ghz machine. Should keep the OP busy for a few days ;)

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
IMO, this thread is completely pointless. What did you expect? Pats on the back and a federal grant?

Sheesh, the guy had his MBP up for $1200 because he wanted it to be up for that much. It's not your place to email people and b*tch, moan, etc about prices. I sell a TON of overpriced things on Craigslist. Most of the time I reduce the price to sell it, but sometimes idiots buy things and make hundreds more than I expected!

I got an email recently from somebody who said "I'll give you $500 (down from $900) for the computer if you wipe the hard drives. The hardware isn't worth much and it comes out to $490 without the licenses blah blah blah blah".

"Look at me! I'm so SMART! I know what your item is WORTH and you're OVERPRICING IT! Heathen!"

In conclusion:

:rolleyes:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
IMO, this thread is completely pointless. What did you expect? Pats on the back and a federal grant?

Sheesh, the guy had his MBP up for $1200 because he wanted it to be up for that much. It's not your place to email people and b*tch, moan, etc about prices. I sell a TON of overpriced things on Craigslist. Most of the time I reduce the price to sell it, but sometimes idiots buy things and make hundreds more than I expected!

I got an email recently from somebody who said "I'll give you $500 (down from $900) for the computer if you wipe the hard drives. The hardware isn't worth much and it comes out to $490 without the licenses blah blah blah blah".

"Look at me! I'm so SMART! I know what your item is WORTH and you're OVERPRICING IT! Heathen!"

In conclusion:

:rolleyes:

i agree

everytime i seel something on craigs, i get offers for less. its always easier to start off high and then accept a lower price you are ok with or sell it at the listing price which is awesome

everytime i buy something, i always counteroffer lower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.