Hilton Debuting 'Connected Rooms' Controlled via Smartphone Next Year

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Hilton today announced the upcoming debut of the "Connected Room," a high-tech guest room that will enable hotel guests to control the temperature, lighting, TV, window coverings, and more from their smartphones using the Hilton Honors app.

Guests will also be able to personalize their rooms using technology that loads popular streaming media and other accounts to their in-room TVs. Eventually, guests will also be able to use voice commands to access content and upload artwork and photos to display in their rooms.

[​IMG]

Hilton already allows guests to use the Hilton Honors app to check into their rooms and open their room doors using their smartphones, but with the Connected Room expansion, additional in-room controls will be available.
    The Connected Room is live in one Hilton hotel and will deploy "in the coming weeks" to several more before rolling out on a wider scale in 2018.

Article Link: Hilton Debuting 'Connected Rooms' Controlled via Smartphone Next Year

2. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

If it’s anything like their digital room key, the franchises will refuse to pay for it. It’ll only be installed to new builds, and after 6 years of rollout...only work at like 1 in 100 of the Hilton branded hotels. Blah blah blah... Hilton diamond complaining here.

3. adamjackson macrumors 65816

4. Scooz macrumors member

It said „Hilton debugging...“ before I clicked it. I swear!! o_O

5. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Does this mean when I drunkenly lose my key card, I can still get in, until I lose my phone too?!

6. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

Will this use HomeKit; the same HomeKit that Apple just had to patch because of a security vulnerability? :rolleyes:

7. Baumi macrumors regular

My first thought on reading the headline was: “So they will have doors between rooms?”

I blame it on lack of sleep.

8. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

Yes you can that already. At least at some select properties. The new is that you are able to control the temperature, so when you wake up with insane hangover you also freeze your ass off, because cold room seemed like a good idea when you fell asleep!

9. Altis macrumors 68030

How is this any better?

Downloading and setting up an app and probably account, etc, just to turn on the lights or adjust the climate?

And enjoy a nice Safari refresh when I try to go back to what I was doing, no doubt. o_O

10. NuSyns, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

NuSyns macrumors newbie

NuSyns

The app works well to open the door.

Here are a few screenshots
    41C0003E-7207-4A77-8B0F-B67CA67DB89B.jpeg 0D93B470-240A-4EE5-92B5-7D0F0AFF0CB9.jpeg 08678F5B-ECF3-4839-96BF-2BA7F489DEC9.jpeg

11. RickeshPatel, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

RickeshPatel macrumors member

Hilton hasn’t mentioned any of this to us and we are opening at the end of the month. We are putting in the Bluetooth/nfc capable locks though. Also glad to tell you we are putting chromecasts in the rooms - this is through a hotel specific solution. Any property has to follow the requirements in the window that a brand gives.

12. scottrngr macrumors member

I've found it is much easier to use the key card rather than fumbling with my phone to unlock the door. I do like the choose your room feature of the Hilton app, and always use it to book my room.

13. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Somehow I don't have much faith they will pull it off well.

14. lunarworks macrumors 65816

There's no way this won't be abused. Within a year someone will find a way to hack other rooms.

15. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters