Hinge clicking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BarryChuckle, Aug 30, 2011.

1. BarryChuckle, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

BarryChuckle macrumors member

Hey

Just wondering what I should do about my Macbook pro clicking hinge. It clicks when I originally open the macbook from closed. It's only a tiny click but it feels like there is slight stress to the black panel at the back of the uni body. I would go the apple store but it's quite a bit away from me for such a small annoyance. (I don't want the clicking to damage the internals video connection cable etc)

Thanks

P.S. It's the left hand side of the hinge, I can stop this clicking by applying pressure to the back left of the hinge. I don't know if this makes any difference but the front doesn't seem to match up with the bottom of the bottom of the laptop (maybe by 2mm)

[​IMG]

2. treestar macrumors 6502

I know exactly what you are talking about. Don't worry. Nothing is getting damaged. Your MBP will last for many years, the hinge will not fail, and the click might go away eventually.

I think Apple can fix it if you make it to the store eventually.

3. wpotere Guest

The wife's MBA started this and she didn't tell me until it was too late and the hinge failed on the right side. When it did, it too the display and cable with it. You could take it in and get it replaced if it is under warranty or wait. However, if you are out of warranty I would see if you could get it repaired. Not sure if they will just replace a hinge or if it is the whole display.

4. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the fast replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I will continue to hold the back to ensure no more damage is done when opening the lid (I always close it because I hate dust going on it :p) I will take my macbook into the city next time I am there. Can I just go into the store and enquire or do I have to actually make an appointment. It's a very quiet click so hopefully they will be able to hear inshore.

Thanks again guys

5. wpotere Guest

I would make an appointment, they can get very busy and you would have to wait for a cancellation. As for hearing it, explain the situation and your concerns and they will likely take it to the back to look at it.

6. treestar macrumors 6502

7. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

The picture isn't really that relevant to what I am posting about, it's just to show what side and where it clicks. There isn't any problems aesthetically with the back of the macbook.

Thanks for the advice wpotere I will arrange an appointment asap.

8. dschna macrumors newbie

My clicking hinge developed into a crack along the black plastic hinge casing. I took it to an Apple Store and spoke to a very empathetic genius who said that I was obviously unhappy with it and although it was within Apples tolerances, he would replace it regardless. I assume this was done under my Applecare.

As it is all one part (display clamshell and hinge) I now have a nice new display, and subsequently a new top case which means that the dents were replaced :D. Oh, and no more bright cluster of pixels.

I think it may just be a case of speaking to the right genius.

9. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

Just an update.

Went to the apple store this week and got it sorted. The apple store genius was ace! apparently the case was very misaligned and this caused the clicking. Left it at the apple store for a few hours came back and it was fixed. Finally 100% happy with my mac

Thank you applestore!

10. sullez macrumors 6502

Is there a gap larger on the side of that hinge than the other side? I think a lot of people saw that on their laptops.

11. uk1simon macrumors member

I have the same problem with this on my Macbook taking to genius bar tomorrow.