Hinge cost?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbook yes, Aug 5, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I looked all over online and I can't find how much a hinge would cost. I took my macbook out of the sleeve today and while I was doing this I nicked the black plastic (cheap, fragile, ripoff) hinge. There is a small dent, and I'm planning on keeping this baby for another 4 years at minimum. I think I might eventually get the hinge replaced if it is not to expensive. It's only a small nick so I'm not sure if it is worth it. I have applecare, but I doubt they will replace it since it is my fault. Is there anything in the hinge that can get damaged? Its dented in about 1-2mm about a cm from the left side.

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

You just gotta know what to search for. The part is actually called the "clutch cover."

You can order one here.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

replacing macbook parts is pretty damn difficult but so much fun, search around for "clutch cover". I broke mine aswell while replacing my display.

4. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

OOooo, $10 thats great. I though it would be attached to stuff and be at least $50. Is it difficult to replace? How much would apple charge to do it?

5. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I've never actually tried it, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I think the screen should tilt back far enough to snap the new one on, and the old one's getting thrown away either way, so you can break it if you need to (carefully of course) so you don't have to pry against the glass.

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Is your mac currently covered? Then I guess you can try apple. They replaced my cracked case no questions asked... if not...

I think you tilt the screen back and try to pry it off with a flat plastic tool.. thats what I had to do to replace the screen, but I didn't need to take it off...

7. daveeetu macrumors newbie

I went to the genius bar a couple of times... They charged me $80 just to fix my HD... the HD was another 90 btw. =/