Hinge cover loose/gap

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MikePembo951, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MikePembo951, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

MikePembo951 macrumors member

Hi,

The clutch cover on my 2013 MB air seems to be loose, this isn't the cover sliding side to side, but loose from the screen around the back. It means around the back of the cover one side is very slightly more apart from the screen than the other side, and this side also is slightly 'springy' when pressed.

I've not dropped it, or liquid damaged etc. so how has it come loose? Is it connected to the screen with glue?

Thinking of taking it in to store - would they be able to help with something like this? Its not really an issue right now, but i'm thinking it would be better to have it fixed now incase it became more of a problem later in its life.

(I don't have AppleCare atm, still deciding whether it is worth it in the UK, but am certainly within the warranty)

How long do fixes usually take? (I couldn't be without it more than a few days)

Thanks,
    Mike

I've attached some photos below to try and help explain the problem.
    Sorry that the photos are blurry and the MB is a bit dusty.
    Notice the difference between the back-left and back-right. The back right side of the hinge cover is slightly loose and not absolutely secure (like the back left side).

Attached Files:

2. MikePembo951 thread starter macrumors member

It seems to me like a loose screw/glue (what ever holds it down)

3. MikePembo951 thread starter macrumors member

Update:
    Booked a genius bar appointment and took it to an Apple store today, they said that it wasn't right at all and since covered with warranty they'll replace the whole of the top display for free. (That was about 2pm.)

6pm I get a call saying it was fixed; they've replaced the display and it's ready for pickup.

Summary: REALLY good customer service! :D