Hinge Gap

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wackery, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Wackery macrumors 6502a

While I was reading about the all metal hinge of the new Macbook, I looked at mine and noticed that my Macbook air (bought late 2014) has quite a gap on the right side of the hinge, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this on theirs? And if I should have the apple store replace the hinge if necessary if it may cause issues in the long term. Pictures attached, as you can see the hinge on the left side is completely flush while on the right there is a noticeable gap.

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Does the narrow gap on the left interfere with lid movement?

If that tiny gap is annoying - I would probably try a little sideways "persuasion", working the lid gently to the right, until the gap is equal on both sides.

3. Wackery thread starter macrumors 6502a

functionally it's ok, but I mean over time right, I'm a little hesitant 'persuading' it to the right for fear of breaking it myself, ha. But I was just wondering if other people with macbook airs have this on theirs, is it 'normal'?

4. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

There is no gap on mine, both sides seem flush, I'm not sure if it makes a difference but, I get a little paranoid with my technology sometimes and understand where your coming from!

RTJ

5. Wackery thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, i booked a genius appointment, it's because of jony ives i noticed it ><

6. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

Yeah best thing, Apple customer service from since I started using macs have been unbelievably superb!

Let us know how you get on mate.

RTJ

7. motrek macrumors 68020

There is a tiny bit of play on all of the MBAs I've seen. If the plastic was really flush with the metal then there'd be too much friction to open/close the lid. You can exert a small amount of pressure to move the lid around and switch the gap to the other side if you like that better. :)

8. Wackery thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they said don't worry about it. the black part is just a cover and the real hinge is underneath, as long as I don't hear any 'cracking' sounds and it opens smooth it should be fine.