Hinge Genius

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yr Blues, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Yr Blues, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Having design-OCD and wondering for some time why the hinge (in a very un-Apple-esque way) was protruding from the screen I looked at it from the side and find out it's now a triangular shape that doesn't cover the vents anymore.

This new hinge is an awesome design change. It's the attention to detail and small innovations that make me so happy.

I absolutely love the new "through body" ventilation system. I wonder if this technique will be used on the other MacBooks and iPads.

I'm passing on the 15 inch because I like the 13 and 11 sizes more.

[​IMG]

2. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

One of the first things I noticed in pictures was the new hinge. At first I thought they shaped it like that because of the thin profile similar to how the first gen MBAs had a raised hinge.

I hope the larger space at the hinge and the vents keep Macbook Pros cool. I'm really surprised how Apple is now changing their notebook designs with a completely new cooling system whereas older systems used the body as the heatsink which really hurts the lap sometimes.

3. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

kockgunner

At first I was trying to figure out if it was an aesthetic blunder or a functional element. I was so used to everything being at 90 degree angles that I was slightly annoyed at the protrusion. That was until I saw the genius functionality of it and it all made sense. Definitely caught me off guard.

Those small little details.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There were also rumors that 15" Macbook Air was prototyped but the hinge didn't hold up very well. This might be part of the solution for that.

5. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

15 inch air kind of defeats the purpose. I think the triangular hinge being structurally more stable is an added secondary benefit. I think the heat was the problem they were seeking a solution for. that massive retina screen is taxing the CPU 4 times as much, just like on the ipad 3.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

CPU? You mean probably the GPU. The new GPU is more efficient, and produces less heat.