Hinge Groan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jul 27, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Some jacka$$ yanked my Mac's screen backwards like on a shi# PC. The screen on the MBP, as you know, only opens to about 150 degrees. Of course, my screen creaks and groans when I open or close my screen. Do you think this is something to worry about, or should I just deal with this blemish to my beautiful computer? And has anyone ever had this problem that later turned into a harmful issue?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My hinge has been creaking since I bought it.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My computer is happily creak free. I would try to get it replaced if it was creaking, but that is just me. :)

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Might be the hinge screws...

A similar thing happened to my MacBook Pro once. It turned out that the hinges had come loose slightly from the main computer body. They're held down by a pair of Torx 6 screws each, I believe.

Whilst I was upgrading my hard drive I tightened the screws and the problem was solved.

It might not be exactly the same thing that you're experiencing, but it might be worth (carefully and with instructions) dismantling the machine and checking the screws. ;)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The hinge on the 15" unibody is a counterbalance hinge and the hinge on the 15" classic body is a friction hinge. Entirely different mechanisms.

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Do you know if they're attached to the body in the same way, though? Unfortunately the OP didn't mention whether it's a unibody or a 'classic' in question.