Hinge noise when moving screen/lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris., Oct 20, 2011.

1. Chris. macrumors regular

Hi,

My 13-inch, Early 2011 MacBook Pro screen/hinge has started making a strange noise randomly when I either open or close the screen, or change its angle. It doesn't happen _all_ the time, but enough for me to notice it. Its not a 'clicking' noise, more like a grinding noise.

Could it be a misaligned screen/hinge? Would Apple be able to repair it, either by replacing the screen or realigning it? (I have extra AppleCare etc).

Thanks.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

yeah mine too. Just noticed it a couple weeks ago. I'm having flashbacks to the days of the infamous Titanium powerbook hinge problem. My Ti book still has its original hinges but probably because I've treated the thing for the better part of ten years like someone who has a broken neck. I'm not inclined to be so solicitous of my MBP. If the creaking gets any worse or more frequent this machine will be in a box on the way to Apple repair after I make the phone call!

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I had/have the same problem with my Macbook Pro.

10 minutes ago I opened it up and took a look at the plastic part. It seemed like it was properly aligned. I aligned it and since then it hasn't made that clicking noise but I can't guarantee this will work since I haven't had enough time to say if the problem is gone or not.

But so far it seems okay.

I will update you guys on this. But you can try it yourselves it isn't hard at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read your post properly I thought you were talking about the clicking noise.

4. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

So I booked it in for repair, they realigned the hinge, got it home, and it really doesn't seem any different. Still makes the horrible noise, and the screen doesn't seem very secure anymore, very flex... hmm

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I've never heard about a grinding noise, but my pre-unibody 2008 MBP had this problem. I hoped the hinges would be different with the unibodies, but me and my brother's MBP both have a clicking/rolling fabric (can't really describe it) noise occasionally. It doesn't affect anything but it's really annoying.

6. psykick5 macrumors 6502

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

if it's a creaking noise, it is probably the cables that run through the black tube rubbing on the inside of said tube. unscrew the cable retaining piece, push the cable around a bit, tighten.