Hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jedivulcan, Dec 17, 2011.

1. jedivulcan, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011

jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I went to the Apple Store two weeks ago because the SuperDrive on the 15" MacBook Pro had failed and the 13" MacBook Pro had a faulty battery and the SuperDrive was failing. Both are covered under extended AppleCare. I also had a few issues with my 15" Pro's screen.

I detailed the incident with Apple Customer Relations but the Genius I spoke to at the store was rude. After waiting for 45 minutes, the first thing the Genius says to me after I sit down is that there are other customers and I only had 15 minutes. He fast tracked me and tried to hurry me along (there were people being serviced at the bar for the entirety I was waiting to the time I made it to the counter). I live about an hour away from the Apple Store.

Regardless. At the end. The SuperDrive on both machines were replaced. 13" Battery replaced. 15" MBP's screen assembly and SuperDrive were replaced.

I picked them up a few days later and noticed wear and hairline scratches on the aluminum on both machines. They were a bit rough with them. Both machines, even though two years old, were only used around the house and on my desk. They were pristine.

I called AppleCare. After 45 minutes, I got nowhere. A case was made but the Senior Adviser told me to simply go to the Apple Store and complain to the manager myself.

I called AppleCare a few days later, spoke to a different representative. They transferred me to Apple Customer Relations. I detailed the entire experience at the store and the last call I made.

The representative at Apple Customer Relations said she'd call the store and speak to the manager on my behalf. I was put on hold for about 15 minutes. I said this specific store was horrible before she put me on hold and detailed my frustration with them. She puts me on hold and ten minutes later, she tells me she can't get a hold of them either. I'm like.. okay. She tells me that she'll call me back

An hour passes, she calls me back. and said that she spoke to their head Genius (strange, still couldn't get a hold of the manager, detailed everything with an additional case number).

I go back to the store and they replace the entire aluminum body of my 15" machine. My 13" machine got a new display assembly. I inspected the machines at the store. Neither had scratches or anything like that. I powered the machines on (I had an experience at this store two years ago where they fried my machine getting the fans replaced). The store is always busy and I was about to take my computer to leave and an employee stopped me and asked if I'd like to turn on the machine. I tried. It didn't work. Not even on a power adapter. This thing was just totally done.

It's standard policy for me to at least power the machines on before I leave the store (these last two times, they simply handed me the machines and tried to get me out of there fast)

I start inspecting the machines I got back and when I opened up my 15" Pro, the hinge creaked. I looked at both machines and it seems on one or both sides, the hinges were forced and aren't flush with the machine.

This is a picture I took of one of the machines.

[​IMG]

Both machines look like this. My 15" on has it on one side. The other side sits flush but creaks.

Help? Advice?

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

go back to the store. if its ur third repair, request a replacement unit as this is an inconvinence

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Agreed, I would demand replacements for both units.

randomrazr, in the future could you avoid quoting the whole post, seeing as you were the first poster it was some what obvious what you were referring too. Thanks, it gets annoying when several people quote the whole post.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

sorry most of the time m not the first post and its just instinct to hit quote lol

5. jedivulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha! You're alright. Thanks for your input! My original post was way too long.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

ha no problem.. it just gets a little annoying when you are on the mobile site and there are only 2 posts per a page :p

7. Ant.honey macrumors regular

That's crummy man. Sorry. You have plenty of reason and documentation. Go back again. That's not right.

8. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

I have to agree with the previous posters as well, ask for a replacement. You're paying for a premium product, the least they could do is guarantee your satisfaction.