Hinges broke? (picture)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick-32, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Patrick-32 macrumors member

The back covering where hinges are has popped out.

My screen keeps falling down flat. if the screen false down flat the black part on front of laptop between screen and keyboard lifts up.

As can kind of been seen in the picture, the hinge comes out a bit on the right side..

What is the best step to fix this?

Is it just a hinge replacement on either side? or more would people think?
    Where to buy proper hinges also?

Macbook Pro 15" late 2011 - a1286

2. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Cant see your pic - but the hinge mechanism is pretty simple really - 3 screws on either side from memory, so I am guessing they just need to be tightened.

Search for a YouTube video and I'm pretty sure you could fix loose hinges in under 10 mins. (thats if loose hinges are your problem, 'cause I am guessing without your pic showing up for me!)

3. Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

i forgot to post a picture sorry.
    I took the mac apart and the right hinge had snapped off where it was screwed on.. I have since ordered hinges and will repair. Had not taken a macbook apart before so is why I posted, but it was a simple enough process, thanks.

4. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

No worries at all - was just a guess anyway.

Could you still post a pic for reference? (I've never heard of that happening before)

Hope you get it all sorted, and good on you for opening her up - first time is always a bit daunting!

5. Patrick-32 thread starter macrumors member

I will post original picture (bit blurry) and also the rest when the new hinges arrive, I will reply to this thread in detail then. I'll post the pictures of the hinge etc, for now I have the laptop back together as I have my main uni thesis etc due.. Hinges expected soon. but will reply with detail and photos. I'm just waiting until i need to take it apart agin = when hinges arrive. And i will put it as one.