Hint of iPhone Finder in SDK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s8film40, Mar 8, 2008.

1. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I noticed this finder button while watching one of the videos for the new SDK. It say's this is one of the built in controls.

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Where does that say anything about finder?

3. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

It doesn't, until now I have never seen the finder icon used in the iPhone software. This slideshow claims the graphics on the right are built in controls for the iPhone that you can use when developing software for the iPhone and one of the buttons has the finder icon. It may not mean anything at all but I can't imagine what the finder icon would represent on the iPhone in it's current incarnation.

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Ok, thats what I wasn't seeing in your post, might want to point out the icon specifically or something. Looking through the apps in the SDK (App Store is there), there isn't anything about a finder...yet.

5. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

It's in the graphics on the attached image in the first post.

Attached Files:

6. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I saw it after you said it the 1st time, I was suggesting you edit post 1 with something like your most recent post.

7. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

Good idea.

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

anyone got more information on this? seems like a reasonable addition.

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You are looking into this way too much. This means absolutely nothing.

10. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

I agree this may turn out to mean nothing, but I think its a reasonable assumption. What else would the finder icon represent within the iPhone?

11. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

how does it mean absolutely nothing. it is the finder on mac osx so the only thing it could represent is a finder on iphone

12. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

maybe it could represent the ability for 3rd party apps to save data to the sql database and retrieve files from there ( a kind of pseudo finder)

13. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Third party apps likely have a way to load/save documents, or that places a BIG yet-unstated limit on the kind of app you can me. You therefore need a way to browse and open said documents. Sounds like a "Finder" to me! Obviously simpler than the Mac Finder.

The Finder could be just a kind of file open/save dialog, but if it's accessible on its own, without launching any other app first, then it's more Mac-like. (The difference being that if you don't launch an app first, then you can browse ALL filetypes, opening whatever app is needed for the file you choose.)

I hope the iPhone will be able to browse (view icons/names) for files that it CANNOT open--just to review what's stored--and I hope it can browse files you've simple dragged onto the phone from a Mac/PC like it was any other HD. (The way you can drag files to an iPod, if you set that option.)

14. JPyre macrumors 6502

Ummm... are all of you that young? or do you just not remember that it's been used before, many times, many ways. Could be a finder though, i'll keep my fingers crossed, or just wait for the jailbreak.

[​IMG]

15. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

hmm, i wonder what it will look like. I have a feeling it is going to be verry popular though!

16. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i just read that apps only have the ability to store files in their own package file, so not sure how that would work, only time will tell i guess.