Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Switching from Sprint 4S to Verizon 5. What do I need to keep in mind, other than backing up the phone to both iCloud and iTunes? Is there a time lag between when I cancel with one provider and the time I can access my backups?

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Nope, no lag.
You can access and restore from your backup at any time.
It has nothing to do with your cell service.

OK....So since I can't use two phones on one account, I assume when I go to log in with the new phone that will make the first phone inoperative, correct?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
OK....So since I can't use two phones on one account, I assume when I go to log in with the new phone that will make the first phone inoperative, correct?

Yes, when they start service on the new phone your old one will deactivate.
Everything will still work on the old phone it just wont get service for calls, texts and carrier data.

vree

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Huh, isn't the provider just linked with the SIM card.

I can put whatever simcard in my iphone and it just works.
And backup the iphone? Why?

The only things you would have to change is the mobile roaming settings.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Huh, isn't the provider just linked with the SIM card.

I can put whatever simcard in my iphone and it just works.
And backup the iphone? Why?

The only things you would have to change is the mobile roaming settings.

Ummmm....no.
Verizon (and Sprint) are CDMA providers. Where exactly is it that you live?

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
And while I'm asking questions, if I do this switch, how do I best prepare the Sprint phone for sale? This is a new phone purchased 6 months ago (not a refurb) and I transferred Applecare+ to this phone so there is time left. Will Apple let me transfer Applecare+ again? Lastly, what problems do people have when selling iPhones on Ebay?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
And while I'm asking questions, if I do this switch, how do I best prepare the Sprint phone for sale? This is a new phone purchased 6 months ago (not a refurb) and I transferred Applecare+ to this phone so there is time left. Will Apple let me transfer Applecare+ again? Lastly, what problems do people have when selling iPhones on Ebay?

to sell the phone, just wipe it or do a fresh restore. and then i would recommend trying to sell in the for sale forum here or on imore.com. thats what ive always done, never used ebay or craigslist. listing here is free and helps out other members.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks. Here's another one:
I'd like to actually try out Verizon service for a few days before making the switch. If I go ahead and sign up for Verizon, transfer the number, and don't tell Sprint I'm switching, keep the Sprint phone, and then if the signal issues aren't improved, can I re-initialize the old phone on Sprint and return the Verizon phone and cancel the contract?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'd like to actually try out Verizon service for a few days before making the switch. If I go ahead and sign up for Verizon, transfer the number, and don't tell Sprint I'm switching, keep the Sprint phone, and then if the signal issues aren't improved, can I re-initialize the old phone on Sprint and return the Verizon phone and cancel the contract?

Yes you can, but I would not port my number if that is your plan. I leave the existing number with Sprint during your test and just have Verizon give you a new number. If you decide to keep the Verizon phone, just take it back in and they can port your Sprint number over then.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
you can port, then port back if youre not happy. i believe you have either 14 or 30 days to try your new account and cancel at no charge.

i ported from att to verizon and decided to stay. att said my account will remain active in their system for 90 days, and that i had that long to port back and reactivate my account. if after, it would open a new one.

i wouldnt bother changing numbers. just port, it takes a few hours to complete. no need to tell sprint, as verizon will handle the full port procedure. once done, sprint will send you a final bill, including fees is applicable. if you dont like it in a few days, port back. check with both carriers regarding this, but i dont see that it should be an issue.

also, years ago, i ported from att to tmobile and decided against it. within 2 days, i ported back without an issue.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Yes you can, but I would not port my number if that is your plan. I leave the existing number with Sprint during your test and just have Verizon give you a new number. If you decide to keep the Verizon phone, just take it back in and they can port your Sprint number over then.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Odds are overwhelming I'll stay on Verizon. I was just curious what effect changing the number would have on my "new" phone/iTunes access. When my "old" number is ported to the new phone that was already signed into iTunes (and iCloud) with the short-term number, will that have any effect? Will I have to restore the new phone with my old number? No big deal either way, was just wondering.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That's exactly what I'm doing. Odds are overwhelming I'll stay on Verizon. I was just curious what effect changing the number would have on my "new" phone/iTunes access. When my "old" number is ported to the new phone that was already signed into iTunes (and iCloud) with the short-term number, will that have any effect? Will I have to restore the new phone with my old number? No big deal either way, was just wondering.

It won't have any effect on any of that. iCloud/iTunes all use your AppleID that is not tied to your phone number. You won't need to restore again.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011

When you say "wipe it", I assume that means to choose "erase all content and settings", correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.