HIPAA privacy act may be broken by a fairly large company?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macman2790, Sep 13, 2007.

1. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i work for this company and they may be breaking hipaa law. It's a grocery store chain. My girlfriend was taking a certain medication. My girlfriend works for the pharmacy and was begged for the 2 refills my girlfriend had left in one of her medications and was gonna pay high dollar for them at the beauty parlor while getting a haircut. She asked where this information was obtained and she said someone she works with. She asked that someone and they admitted to it. She didnt report it and one of her coworkers had overheard the situation because the beauty shop lady asked her for it in the pharmacy once again. So my girlfriend wrote a statement to protect herself because she didnt report it herself. Everything with that part is fine. It was reported to the human resources department and they suspended her and now she is taking the hipaa test again as a punishment. There was no real reprimanding other than that. It wasn't reported to the government like it should be. Why is she taking the hipaa test if nothing was wrong with what she did? its an excuse for a reprimandation so the greedy company isn't embarassed. This girl is going to get back at her and she knows it. she already had another worker try to buy cigarrettes back there from my girlfriend to try to get here in trouble, because you cant sell cigarrettes in the pharmacy. What can she do to protect herself and future victims inside this company? I obviously can't do anything about this because that would get her in trouble.

thanks.

2. Mebsat macrumors regular

I'm having a hard time understanding your question, your post is hard to follow.

Person A tells Person B that your girlfriend has a script and then person B tries to get her to sell her the meds?

Trying to get your girlfriend to give them meds that were prescribed for your girlfriend is a criminal act.

It sounds like Person A should be reported directly to HHS(feds) as well as the HR person, that will be a fun can of worms.

Please clarify the situation, though

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure why HIPAA would be involved with someone trying to get meds that don't belong to them. The police should be involved, especially if they're narcotics.

If there is no proof, the best anyone can do is to forget the situation because nothing will be done.

If this doesn't apply to what you're saying, please write more clearly next time. ;)

5. sgarringer macrumors regular

My head hurts. I've heard of conversational style, but this post takes the cake!

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My mom and sister both work for hospitals and they say that many doctors and nurses pay little attention to HIPPA.

7. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

the proof is that the lady told the truth about telling the person about it. Also
    when you let information of the patient(my gf in this case) out in a pharmacy, it is breaking HIPAA laws, which should lead to termination and a fine.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's not proof, that's hearsay, without documentation.

Even before HIPAA, state privacy acts were such that patient information disclosure was subject to fines and dismissal, as I'd seen happen in hospitals.

If your girlfriend has proof, it needs to be sent to the government, since you've said (or that's what I thought you said) that the pharmacy is ignoring it.