Hipstamatic taking extremely long to develop and print

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by cathyy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Okay so me and my friend were playing around with hipstamatic today on both our phones when she commented that it was taking extremely long for hipstamatic to process on my phone. I tried using hers and to my surprise, hers was much, MUCH faster.

Mine took about 15 to 25 seconds to fully process a shot whereas hers did it in 5 seconds. She could develop and finish printing her shot before mine even completed the development bit.

Does anyone know what's up with that? We both have iPhone 4s. I'm running 4.1 with hipstamatic 1.75 whereas she's using 4.0 and 1.70 :(

2. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

She's probably saving at a lower resolution than you. That, and a few other settings would cause Hipstamatic to process faster.

Open iPhone's Settings app. Open the Hipstamatic settings panel. Check the Add Metadata setting. If location tagging isn't important to you, turn this off. It adds time to processing.

The Image Size setting in Hipstamatic has been moved. In Hipsta 175, go to the lens page in the app. There's a lever on the left side of the lens. In the top position (the big dot), the app saves images at full-res -- 1936 pixels square on an iPhone 4. The bottom position will save it at a much lower resolution -- probably good for sharing online, but little else. You probably won't want to make prints at that setting. In Hipstamatic 170, I think the Image Size (or Image Quality) setting is still in the Hipstamatic Settings screen.

Small file sizes = faster saves. Large file sizes = slower saves but much better image quality.

Changing either or both of those settings should speed you up. I suggest you take the speed hit and leave it in high resolution/high quality mode. It's easier to make a big photo smaller than it is to add image data that isn't there.

I hope this helps!

=M=

3. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right, it was the resolution. I feel so stupid now, thanks so much!

4. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Hipstamatic has just been updated so now you don't have to wait for a photo to develop before taking another one - it now develops in the background and you can take another photo immediately.

My number 1 bugbear now fixed. :cool:

6. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

It shoots really fast, too! In tests on an iPhone 4, recovery time is about 1-2 seconds between shots at full resolution, many times it was closer to 1 second for me.