Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
My sister's friend wants me to build her an Aquarium out of a Mac. I said sure why not, easy money! I have never tried anything like this, but I figured that the iMac G3 would be great as it is a common one to turn into an aquarium, it comes in many colors (perfect for a girl, right?) And it i just want to see one in person as it is a huge part of Apple's history.

So now my question, how hard is this? I know there are guides, but I want to know first hand how long it took and how much it was. Also what is a reasonable price to charge for labor? Thanks!

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
hello,
Do you know much about fish or macs?
I have a few things to point out:
-If the mac is not already gutted, you have to remove the CRT on your own, which is potentially very dangerous
-Fish can react to chemicals very differently then us. Even ivory soap (which is the gentlest soap) can kill a fish. Make sure you research the silicone and wash the glass panels thoroughly with a fish speciality cleaner
-Ask her what types of fish she plans on putting in. No goldfish or anything like that
-Keep in mind that tanks need a lot to run which means you need space for; a heater, filter, lights, and air pump.
I would be happy to help along the way if you like

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA

Thanks. That site seems like it would help alot.

hello,
Do you know much about fish or macs?
I have a few things to point out:
-If the mac is not already gutted, you have to remove the CRT on your own, which is potentially very dangerous
-Fish can react to chemicals very differently then us. Even ivory soap (which is the gentlest soap) can kill a fish. Make sure you research the silicone and wash the glass panels thoroughly with a fish speciality cleaner
-Ask her what types of fish she plans on putting in. No goldfish or anything like that
-Keep in mind that tanks need a lot to run which means you need space for; a heater, filter, lights, and air pump.
I would be happy to help along the way if you like

I appreciate the help! I have removed the CRT from my eMac in the past, I usually wear thick rubber gloves when taking it out. It makes it more difficult, but I am grounded that way. I also keep it unplugged and don't touch the computer for 72 hours minimum.

As for the chemicals, I have no idea what to use. I remember seeing a pre assembled tank for the iMac a while ago, I'll try to find that. I just need to put together an estimate of the cost of parts and labor before she gives me the ok to order everything.

I'll find out what kind of fish she wants then. If she's spending this much on the aquarium, I can't see her putting gold fish in there. I told her it would be well over $100 and she said she would be fine with that.

The pump can probably be kept in the back of the case, where it tapers slightly. I can probably run tubes from the inside of the tank to the pump, right? I don't have much experience with fish, the only pets I've had have been lizards, turtles, and cats.

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
It's a cool venture, but it's going to cost you unless you have time to spend on craiglist and/or looking for used equipment.

Best of luck to you! Post pics during the build.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Interesting proposal but why take a job if you don't know how to do it?

The link and the response above is best. I have one someone made out of a cube. You best be sure that bitch is water tight. ;)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I usually wear thick rubber gloves when taking it out. It makes it more difficult, but I am grounded that way.

Which makes you isolated, pretty much the exact opposite of being "grounded".....

Honestly if your understanding of anything electrical fails at such a low level you should stay far far away from working on anything invented after the stone-axe :rolleyes:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Which makes you isolated, pretty much the exact opposite of being "grounded".....

Honestly if your understanding of anything electrical fails at such a low level you should stay far far away from working on anything invented after the stone-axe :rolleyes:

This turns you into a static lightning rod hahaha.

Wow... I'll get a friend of mine to do it!

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wow... I'll get a friend of mine to do it!

As previous posters have said, you should not tackle this job since you have no clue how to do it. As soon as I saw the part about you wearing mom's dish washing gloves as "grounding" I knew you were lost. Id tell your sister to either buy one already made, or learn and try it herself.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
As previous posters have said, you should not tackle this job since you have no clue how to do it. As soon as I saw the part about you wearing mom's dish washing gloves as "grounding" I knew you were lost. Id tell your sister to either buy one already made, or learn and try it herself.

I have seen empty cases show up on craigslist. I'll find one of them. Im not a total idiot (except with grounding myself)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

Okay good, I just did not want you getting hurt removing the CRT! :)
In terms of filters- They are big and bulky you may want to measure the tank to fit around the tank. I would kill to have an all in one tank like that. Chemicals: Look for fish tank special silicone.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Okay good, I just did not want you getting hurt removing the CRT! :)
In terms of filters- They are big and bulky you may want to measure the tank to fit around the tank. I would kill to have an all in one tank like that. Chemicals: Look for fish tank special silicone.

Thanks! I'll look up some silicone tonight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.