HiRes Resale Value

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by presdaddy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. presdaddy macrumors newbie

Now that many people have sold their old MBPs for the 2011, have you typically seen the purchase of HiRes or Antiglare as increasing the price that your MBP got on Craigslist?

I'm going to buy the 2011 and sell at the next refresh. Will spending the extra $130 for HiRes Antiglare be like throwing that money in the trash a year from now?

2. dirtysanchez96 macrumors newbie

most people will het the hires

3. presdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

...Thanks Dirty Sanchez.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

:confused: Aside from spelling this makes no sense to me. Nobody will like a better screen? :rolleyes:

5. dirtysanchez96 macrumors newbie

no prob

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

from what I've seen on the refurb store lately, the high res anti glares go fastest. The i5 2.4 and 2.53 sell out super fast leaving behind the standard rez screens to sell out later. I think there is certainly better resale value for them. You may not make back the full $130 over time, but $100 extra to your resale value is certainly reasonable.

7. HacKage macrumors regular

I had a bit of trouble getting people to appreciate that the AG screen was a fair bit extra but then I found someone who was looking specifically for the AG and bought it straight away. Those who know will always buy the AG one fast, but for new people looking to buy a cheap machine, explaining to them the difference and why it is dearer is a bit of a pain.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

^ yeah exactly my thoughts too. If someone wants it, they'll want it. I've been seeing tons on craigslist, but none are AG so I don't even bother with a call.

9. Evan_11 macrumors regular

I would think that the anti-glare screens would hold their value better but like the previous poster stated, you have to find someone specifically looking for one. Having just purchased the 13" 2011 model I can claim that the reflective screen is terrible for trying to use in a room with lots of different light sources. I'm constantly adjusting the screen to avoid reflections. For important work (photo and video editing) I plan on using a matte finish external monitor.

The 15 and 17" models really should come in matte standard (or no extra charge) since these will be mostly used by professionals.

10. HacKage macrumors regular

If I am ever looing for a cheap machine, AG is one of the main things I look for. CPU/GPU, I rarely push an i7 to anywhere near it's limits so I don't really need top end, hard drive and ram are easily upgradable, but AG is a specific thing that matters to me, and many of my friends.

11. presdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be buying mine this afternoon.