His and Her's: A Tale of Two 13" MacBook Pro's...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrazedVW, Jun 27, 2009.

1. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

I've been a Mac user for almost seven years ever since getting my first 12" iBook in January 2003. (Followed by a 15" Titanium PowerBook, 15" Aluminum Powerbook, 15" MacBook Pro, and currently a 13" Macbook Pro. Yea, I'm a bit of an upgrade whore.) When I first met the woman that would eventually become my wife she was the typical "Macs suck, PC's rule" type person. About nine months after we met I convinced her to switch and we got her a Mac Mini. This was replaced later several years later with a white MacBook which she had been happily using since February 2008.

Fast forward to recently. After WWDC a few weeks ago and then seeing one in person at the Apple Store I sold my late-2006 revision 15" MacBook Pro for $1000 to a guy on Craigslist and upgraded to a new 13" MacBook Pro. (The entry level 2.26Ghz model.) Between the money I got for my old one and the education discount I get for being a high school teacher it barely cost me anything to upgrade. (And the free iPod Touch that I'm selling for a little extra money helped too.) I had a bit of a reservation about going to a smaller screen but after a week of using it I absolutely love it. The screen is by far one of the brightest, sharpest displays I've ever seen. (The glare issue isn't anywhere near as bad as some people say it is. At least IMHO.) And the laptop itself is fast and perfectly suits my needs. I upgraded it to 4GB of memory and sometime soon will be getting a 320GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue drive to replace the current 160GB'er.

My wife was a bit skeptical of me going to the 13" but after playing with it herself decided she wanted one too. So I put her MacBook up on Craigslist, found a buyer for $750, and last night we went to the Apple Store and got her a new 13" MacBook Pro identical to mine. (And another iPod Touch because my wife gets the education discount too for being university staff.) The only difference between the two notebooks being that the stock configuration will work for her and won't need upgrading. So now we have twins:

[​IMG]

Anybody else have spousal/significant other technology envy? Anybody else have twins like us?

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

That's a great story!
    Amazing picture as well. :D
    Congrats on your MacBook Twins. :cool:

3. yoppie macrumors 6502a

4. klover macrumors 6502a

Same story here. My girlfriend and I are both attending university (PHD for her, public management for me). We celebrated out 2nd anniversary by buying matching 13" MBPs.

Unfortunately mine was defective but hers is fantastic. We also grabbed a family copy of iWork (I love Pages).

5. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

My wife gets my Mac hand-me-downs. Right new she's rocking a 15" MacBook Pro (pre unibody Core 2 Duo). I gave it to her when I upgraded to the unibody.

6. CrazedVW thread starter macrumors member

CrazedVW

What was wrong with yours? I had an odd issue with my first one where the airport signal was cutting out when I connected my external display. The Apple Store exchanged it for a new one thinking it was an odd manufacturing defect but the next one I got has the same issue. I've been in contact with Apple Support a couple times and I'm waiting to hear back from what their engineers have to say about it.

7. RedWings macrumors regular

My GF is the opposite. I have a 15" Dell so she wanted the 16" Sony FW series (extremely overpriced IMHO). Now I have the MPB so the chance of her making the switch to Mac is slim to none. She always has to take the other side.

8. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I switched to mac 2 years ago when my buddy got a job as a Mac genius & was telling me all the cool things I could do with a mac & how stable it was

I had been fed up with PC's for a while and had just bought a brand new laptop on amazon the week before, so i decided to risk it, sell it on ebay (for just about what I paid for it, luckily) then bought a white macbook, loved it & was super happy, my girlfriend had gotten a Dell thru school with a 3 year warranty (i tried talking her out of it) anyways its been 3 years & 1 week since she bought it & has had it fixed 15 times & replaced 3 times lol!

When the new aluminum books came out last year i wanted one but waited till this year to upgrade after WDCC, so I sold my macbook to my brother & upgraded to the 2.53 13" MBP :) and now my girlfriend is upgrading to the 2.26 13" MBP within the next month to replace that piece of S*** dell

:apple: 4 LIFE from here on out! lol

9. CrazedVW thread starter macrumors member

CrazedVW

My wife had a Dell desktop and laptop when we met too and they really were junk. I almost bought the MacBook last fall but held off mainly because of the lack of firewire. I'm glad I waited and got the SD card slot as a bonus too.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

My wife had a 14" iBook and I was stuck using a 12" iBook which I loved due to the small size, but there was an odd sort of envy of her having the bigger sized screen!:eek: Those were both school computers - me elementary education and her higher education similar to your situation.

AT home we have an old iMac lampshade flatscreen.

We both upgraded finally at our schools to two MacBooks 13" but unfortunately mine didn't come with a DVD burner which is a bummer. Other than that they are identical.

We are upgrading our home computer to a MacBook Pro 15" this week so for once we will have all three computers running the exact same OS which rocks! We had such a hard time before with keeping our iCal sycned through mobile me as we had three different OS's running on the three machines.

11. She macrumors member

When I met my husband (then boyfriend) he was a PC user.. had a 15" Fujitsu piece of junk. The thing weighed a tonne (I couldn't even pick it up with two hands) and about a year after I met him it started having major issues with windows crashing, etc. My husband confessed that he made the wrong decision when he bought it as his other choice was the 15" Powerbook. The thing eventually died and we bashed it with a hammer and tossed it in the trash and that's when we got him his black Macbook. Two years later he still loves it, hasn't had a single problem with it and I know he won't be running back to PC anytime soon. I just upgraded to the 13" MBP (I had a 12" powerbook before) and I know he'd love one too but he's holding out to see if the tablet rumors are true (he too is a high school teacher and thinks one of those would be really handy). And I'm glad he became a teacher (mid career change) because that means edu discount for life (until he retires) :D

[​IMG]

The one on top now belongs to my mother in law who is a Dell desktop user thinking of getting a Dell laptop. She's loving the mac so far and my father in law offered to buy her a new macbook instead of a dell since he qualifies for the edu discount (he's doing his doctorate). No pressure from me of course, just want her to choose what works best for her :p

12. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Aww.. its so cute that I think I'm gonna throw up :p

13. roxnadz macrumors regular

My story:

My girlfriend and I had just moved into my new house a few years back. She, too, was one of those "Macs suck, PCs rule" types.

Anyway, my best friend (diehard Mac fan) was out from Chicago and we were setting up the new wireless. The WAP (a Belkin) supported WPA2 Personal, so I set that up and my friend and I connected effortlessly with our Powerbooks (his a 12", mine a 17".)

My girlfriend, who was on a Dell Latitude with Windows XP installed, wasn't so lucky. For about an hour, she kept trying to connect with no success. Thinking there was something wrong with the WAP, I turned off WPA2. Of course, she associated right away. As soon as we turned it on, despite entering the password correctly numerous times, she could not get her laptop to associate. So we did some looking around and downloaded several updates from Microsoft which should theoretically have allowed her to use WPA2. Despite many reboots and installations, and increasing amounts of giggles from me and my friend, her laptop refused to associate to the network when WPA2 was active.

Finally, in a fit of anger, she slammed down her laptop's lid and said "Fine! I give! I will try a mac!"

The next day I went out and bought her a 1.5 GHz 12" Powerbook. The rest, as they say, is history.

14. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

SP3 is necessary for WPA2 and even that can be flaky.

15. CPPMaster macrumors member

:D Make sure to put both to sleep at the same time, and by the way congrats on the twins.