HIS IcedQ 4+ HD 4870 Flash Help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imrtstc, Jan 27, 2010.

1. imrtstc macrumors member

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 and want to flash my HIS Radon HD 4870 card. has anyone done one and can you help me or point me to where? see alot of 4870 cards but havent seen an IcedQ4+ flashed yet.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

3. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

4. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

ive searched and found nothing about the icedQ version. so i dont know what rom to use. please just point me in the direction. ill gladly donate.
    Thank you

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

6. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

you got it just tell me what to do cuz im scared as hell and i dont want to screw it up. tell me how i give you a copy also. you can do it here or email me. thanks so much.

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

8. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

9. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

10. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Boot natively into Windows rather than attempting it via VM. It's the only way to get the card to launch, as it currently contains BIOS based firmware.

12. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

i only have parallels dont have bootcamp set up. ALSO, when you feed the power off the cd drive power do you only use one set of the powercables on the video card? my card has two ports for powercables. if i plug one side in and one off the other side i get a kernel panic. here i thought all frickin ati radeon cards were the same. frustrating.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

You'll want to go ahead and do a native installation of Windows.

As per powering the card, you need both connectors to have power. To do that, get a pair of power cables that attach to the logic board (here, you need 2x) rather than take it off the Molex connector, as you run the risk of trying to draw too much power from it. That can kill the PSU :eek:, and they have a habit of taking other items with them, such as the logic board, CPU's, and RAM. :(

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1. Forget Parallels. IT WONT WORK. Your going to have to install bootcamp or use another PC.

2. What happened to basic common sense ? It has two power cable ports. It kernel panics when only one is being used. Come on. Of course you need to use the two :rolleyes: It's not frustrating, it's your ignorance. You should research before jumping straight in, if you are unsure of how deep the water is.

15. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

it doesnt kp when one is used. i only did what was shown on this forum. why dont you help out a person in need and show them what needs to be done instead of critisize me? you had to start somewhere too right? Heres where i start. Thank you.

16. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

macrumoruser was a little severe in his answer, but it's more than likely because of the fact that the type of question you asked has been asked on here literally hundreds of times. There is a very long and comprehensive thread on here about how to flash your card, and when you're done reading that you will almost certainly know what to do and how to do it. If you had read through that thread you would know that you need to use both power connectors and that you should use the power connectors on the logicboard. Cindori said he'll help you out by making a ROM for you, so there you go.

17. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

Wonderful, Thank you. i just hadn't seen anything on the HIS IcedQ 4+ thats all. There are two power options that i have seen and i dont have the 2 cables yet so i opted for the drive power. i dont know if all cards come with 2 power outlets or not. If i cant find it i ask..i search, im not lazy. show me the link where it has info about the iced q4 and i will gladly change my name to idiot.
    I am loading up bootcamp and getting the correct cords. all i need is the ROM. Im just being cautious cuz i dont want a brick.

18. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

a 4870 is a 4870. this "icedQ 4+HD" crap just means that it has some special plastic feature like a special fan.

it could be called Super Omega Galaxy 2+2=4 Edition and be sold by the emperor of china,
    does not change the fact that its still a 4870 and all the info in the 4870 thread is compatible.

19. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

So i can use the flash tool? what rom? do i still need bootcamp? im tryin man.

20. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

if you don't have apple ati cards then yes.

but ofc I still need your rom.

21. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

I got HIS HD4870, but the normal edition with small fan and blue PCB.

Flashed without any problems. Look at my posts, ROM should be somewhere.

22. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

ok..We got bootcamp and windows 7 installed. heres what i got. where do we go from here.

Attached Files:

23. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

24. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

25. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori