Hiss on a week 45 iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by s e 7 e n, Nov 20, 2007.

1. s e 7 e n macrumors newbie

It took a while before I made my mind up, but this weekend, I finally gave in and bought an iPod Touch (16Gb). At first, I was super-excited: the look-and-feel (in this case you can take that literally) is out of this world. However, when I plugged in my earphone, I immediately heard a very noticeable 'hiss' (like 'white noise', very soft but still quite irritating). It's not music related, as it also occurs on the 'home' screen when no music is playing (or even on the initial 'plug in this ipod' screen shown on the touch's initial start up). The most annoying is that it is also very noticeable during 'quiet' songs (when playing on a relatively modest volume level). Strangely, when I play music and turn the volume down completely, the hiss also disappears.
    I'm using Etymotic ER-6i (in-ear) headphones but even with the standard Apple headphone, I can hear the hiss (less pronounced, but that's probably due to the Etymotics having far better sound quality/noise isolation. For reference: I tried my headphones on a new nano, and it was absolutely silent).
    I've looked on the net, and found some forum messages (here and on iLounge) from people with the same problem, but most of them seem to be about W39 iPods, while mine was from W45. So, my question is: is anyone else hearing a hiss on a recent iPod touch? Is this a common problem or an (more or less) isolated case?

2. natezire71 Guest

I had this same problem, and discovered what it was. Turn off your wifi. It makes a hissing sound when your listening to it.

3. cjmal macrumors 6502

I apologize for asking this question since it is out of subject, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how is your scree on the week 45?

4. isshou macrumors member

isshou

If you have a look at your serial number, it will look some thing like 9X7WWM....... at the WW you will get two numbers, that is yours iPod manufacturing week.

Mine is 9X740M..... that is week 40 !.

I hope it helps. :)

regards,
    ro

5. isshou macrumors member

isshou

I have 5 days left of my free trial period, and I am googling like mad to find a cure and avoid returning the iPod Touch. :(

I am using the Sennheiser CX300 and YES, I do listen the hiss.

It is very easy to reproduce, simply play any song and pause it, while being paused slide the volume control down to the minimum, then you will notice how the hiss disappears. :eek:

As far as I know it could be well related to the impedance of the earphones !. Therefore, it would not be a problem of Apple !.

The output impedance of the iPod Touch, in theory and according to the Tech specifications is 32 ohms, placing a low impedance (16 ohms) high sensitivity (112 dB) will convert the output of the iPod in a high pass filter, therefore less bass and hiss. :mad:

In theory using any Shure SE210 or better will solve the problem, but that will be another few $$$ towards the iPod Touch.

Any one with iPod Touch, CX300 and Shure could verify if this effectively solves the problem ?.

I don't fell like spending another $400 on a Shure SE530 to find out that despite excellent earphones, they don't solve the problem.

regards,
    Ro

6. cjmal macrumors 6502

That's not what I meant. I asked if there were any problems with his screen on his week 45 iPod Touch. Thanks for trying to help out though. As far as your problem, did you try turning off your wifi as was suggested by the 2nd poster?

7. isshou macrumors member

isshou

upssss! Sorry about it! :eek:

Yes, I did turn off my wifi, but it did not help. :confused:

If I don't find any thing, perhaps I will get it swapped by another one, just in case it is any better!.

thank you,
    regards,
    ro

8. Qianlong macrumors regular

I've got a 39 week Touch + CX 300 and have the same "problem". I've been using the Touch for over a month and the hissing doesn' really bother me. If you play your music at a normal level you won't even notice it.

Don't all the Touches have this hissing when no music is playing?

9. s e 7 e n thread starter macrumors newbie

Turing off the wifi doesn't seem to help for me :-(

10. s e 7 e n thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't been watching much video on it (except from some bad quality podcast), but there it seems to be ok.

11. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Lucky me !!!!! :)

This morning I went to the shop and swap the "hissing" iPod Touch from week 40 by another one from week 43 and guess what !.

No hiss!, well .... almost really. If I pay a lot of attention I think (?) I can still listen to an almost unnoticeable hiss that I wouldn't hear unless I was looking for it like I am. :rolleyes:

My next acquisition to complement the iTouch will be an SE530 :D

Conclusion: Not all the iPod Touchs hiss at you !. If you can, return it and get a "non hissing" one.

regards,
    Ro