Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Hey guys,

Quick question for the Iphone 7 plus users. I have a Iphone 7 plus 128gb matte black.

I recorded a video today and noticed A LOT of background hissing noise in a completely quite setting in my apartment with ANY video recoded with the Iphone 7 plus.

I also recorded the same video with my Ipad and its completely silent. Now the hissing of the phone is not an issue for me if its just there and not noticeable but in this case videos are definitely affected.

I wanted to ask if there is any other Iphone 7 PLUS users who have the issue and more importantly are there any who dont have the issue at all? That way we can see if its universal or just a single product defect.

Thank you.

Iphone 7 plus:

Ipad Air:

Reactions: Rocko99

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Mine comes and goes as I use different allocation. Guessing it has to do with the CPU load. Haven't noticed it in videos yet.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Mine comes and goes as I use different allocation. Guessing it has to do with the CPU load. Haven't noticed it in videos yet.

Great. I am trying to get it exchanged in the new few days so will update you guys to see if it happens on the exchanged device as well. Hopefully not!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Great. I am trying to get it exchanged in the new few days so will update you guys to see if it happens on the exchanged device as well. Hopefully not!
From what I've read most devices have it, to various degrees so you may or may not get the same thing. If it were me I wouldn't risk getting a bad screen over this.

Stetson-100x

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Still waiting for my Iphone 7 plus to arrive..if it does have a hissing noise I wouldn't be able to hear it..one of the good things about tinnitus.
It's going into a case anyhow. I wonder if it would muffle sound for some affected users.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
From what I've read most devices have it, to various degrees so you may or may not get the same thing. If it were me I wouldn't risk getting a bad screen over this.

Well if it was a minor hiss that didnt affect my experience I would completely agree. But this affects any video recordings. In person if you hear the videos on the phone they are WAY louder with that noise. Its not something you can just live with I think. Esp after spending so much.
[doublepost=1474335882][/doublepost]
Still waiting for my Iphone 7 plus to arrive..if it does have a hissing noise I wouldn't be able to hear it..one of the good things about tinnitus.
It's going into a case anyhow. I wonder if it would muffle sound for some affected users.

I am using mine with a case since the first moment I got it. Doesnt seem to make a difference.

StarHunter

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
My ATT iPhone 7 Plus 128 also has hissing while recording a video and I can hear it to a lesser extent even when on a phone call. Not really sure what I'm going to do yet as most replacements would have the same issue so I can either just return it and hold onto my 6S Plus and buy the 7 Plus later or just hold onto this 7 and just wait to swap it out.

If this issue was only when I held the phone up to my ear I would say its a nonissue, but I can hear it pretty loudly while recording a video. When I recorded on my 6s it didnt make any hissing sound in the recording.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
My ATT iPhone 7 Plus 128 also has hissing while recording a video and I can hear it to a lesser extent even when on a phone call. Not really sure what I'm going to do yet as most replacements would have the same issue so I can either just return it and hold onto my 6S Plus and buy the 7 Plus later or just hold onto this 7 and just wait to swap it out.

If this issue was only when I held the phone up to my ear I would say its a nonissue, but I can hear it pretty loudly while recording a video. When I recorded on my 6s it didnt make any hissing sound in the recording.

Yeah, I feel the exact same way.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
I am noticing this too, but only with the camera app, and only on the back camera. If I record a video with instagram the hiss is not there.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
I am noticing this too, but only with the camera app, and only on the back camera. If I record a video with instagram the hiss is not there.

Yeah its much less noticeable with the instagram app.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
All of these weird issues reported with the 7 Plus is making me want to return mine and get the regular 7

MG999

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Got the phone replaced today and the replacement phone has the same issue. I dont hear as much "hissing" when I place it to my ears. BUT when I record a video in a quite setting you definitely hear that hisisng or static noise. Used instagram to record a video and test it and it was much less noticeable. So maybe it is a software issue?

Reactions: Rocko99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.