Hissing noise from iPhone 6 speaker

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Perhaps this is normal with all speakers or something and I'm worrying about nothing, but if i put my ear near the bottom of my iPhone 6 there's a hissing noise similar to the "ocean" sound from a shell.

Is this something I should get checked out or am I experiencing something normal?

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Perhaps this is normal with all speakers or something and I'm worrying about nothing, but if i put my ear near the bottom of my iPhone 6 there's a hissing noise similar to the "ocean" sound from a shell.

Is this something I should get checked out or am I experiencing something normal?
I saw another thread on this somewhere on macrumors about a week ago, other people were having this issue. If I remember correctly, it was concluded that this is a normal function of the Touch ID and nothing to worry about. :)

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Yeah, I think it's normal. It is only in third party apps, right? I only hear it when I open a game or facebook, but not in stock apps like safari.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
well the one user above said the issue was seen on the iPhone 5 which would rule out the touch ID theory.... And also it would happen on the home screen as well not just a third party app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.