Hissing sound from ear speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by waterkamp, Mar 22, 2010.

1. waterkamp macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 3gs on 3.1.3. I never jailbrake the phone.

I put my phone close to my ear as if I want to make a call, the phone is on standby btw (not sleep, screen on)
    and I could hear a hissing sound / static from the ear speaker, but when I press the sleep button (screen off)
    the hissing sound disappears.

and when I try to make a call, the hissing sound is there, I can hear it
    when i put my ear on the back of the phone (so the proximity sensors won't turn off the screen )
    and when the proximity sensors turn off the screen, the hissing's gone.

So somehow the lcd would causes the hiss, i'm just guessing , but I want to know
    if this is normal ? anyone also experience this hissing from ear speaker when on standby with screen on ?
    it's not that loud, but you could obviously hear it.

appreciate any input...

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well my 3gs does not do this. if there is no visible signs of dropping or abusing the phone and no water damage just send it back to Apple and get it replaced. its still under warranty

3. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Oh wow, my 3gs does it too. I've never noticed it before and it's a very very faint high pitched whine type noise. I can only hear it with one ear. I'm in my late 30's so I suspect I've already lost a bit of the high range hearing. It seems to stop when the proximity sensor turns the screen off during a call, which may be why I've never noticed it. Since I don't normally hold the iPhone to my head when not on a call I think I can live with it.

4. waterkamp thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not that loud, maybe you can try in a quiet room ? :p
    The thing is, I have a perfect iPhone (in my opinion), the battery life is perfect, no dead pixel,etc. everything is perfect
    except two things, the screen's not flush on the right side (about 1 mm), and this hissing sound. I can live with it.

I don't want to get replace of something this minor and then getting a defect replacement / worse than this one,
    since this hasn't been discuss before, wanted to know if there are others experience the same.

Yup, that's it, a very faint high pitched noise. funny thing is, I can hear it clearly with my left ear, not so much with my right ear. and yes it stop when the proximity sensors turn off the screen.
    thanks for trying out, wanted to make sure that i'm not alone.

so anyone else have try it out ?

5. mindtrapper macrumors newbie

My 3gs does that too. I noticed it one night while in bed, having the phone pretty close to my head.

It must be the screen because the sound goes away when it is off. The phone is fine otherwise and I wouldn't bother sending it back. They might send me one with a new bootloader ;)

Also the sound "goes away" at about 10cm for me and is not there during calls (sensors, screen off, blah blah). So no biggie.

6. waterkamp thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for clarifying this, I did notice it too, at about 5-10 cm from the ear -> ear speaker, the noise seems to fade away. Knowing that this hissing somewhat is "quite normal", made me not to be bothered asking a replacement from apple.
    funny how the screen is causing the noise, I always thought it would happen on a plasma tv or something. not on this small size lcd.

Since i've been curious about this, i've also tested with my friends 3gs (2 of them) and both have the same high pitched noise. So I assume it is safe to say, that this is very common for iPhone 3gs, and would not cause a problem.