History repeats itself... yet again: 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eezing, Sep 1, 2009.

1. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

So here we are with a new OS and yet again I read countless posts and articles describing bugs, glitches and app compatibility issues. I don't know about all of you, but I feel that 10.6 may be a bit premature. Yea, it's only $29 to upgrade and that's great; but was it really necessary for Apple to release it now? From a marketing standpoint, sure (but I can't think of any other reason).

I guess my overall problem is that right after 10.5 became rock solid, Apple announced 10.6. I purchased a late 2007 MBP and seriously, 10.5 sucked at that time and for a long while after. Yea, the new features were great, but the stability was piss poor... cough cough Airport cough (plenty of posts here to prove that).

Even though the upgrade is only $29, I'll wait while. By that time... I'm sure 10.7 will be announced.

PS: I'm not knocking the early adopters.

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Every newly released OS is going to have SOME problems. However, I think Snow Leopard is the least buggy new OS release I've ever seen. It has been running ROCK SOLID for me and I haven't experienced hardly any of the issues people are talking about.

Slow Exposé? Nope.
    Laggy gaming? Nope.
    Safari and Mail crashes? Nope.
    Exposé glitches? Nope.
    Crashes? Nope.
    Incompatible software? Not yet that I've seen.

I think Snow Leopard was definitely ready for public. I think it's more stable than Leopard at 10.5.8!

I say... just buy it... it's a worthy upgrade. It's super fast!

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Apple knows, and early adopters should know, that there are going to be bugs in a .0 release. Mass distribution, though, is a good way to see what all the bugs are with a varying degree of setups. Granted the OS is running on propriety hardware, there are differences with software installed and peripherals. 10.6.1 will take care of a lot of the glaring bugs and will be safe for most to install without issue. Leopard was really stable at 10.5.8, but 10.6 took care of some very small bugs I was experiencing.

4. Kate. macrumors regular

I think some people are more inclined to post when there's a problem rather than when there isn't. My system is working completely fine. I had a little hiccup with the monitor falling asleep during installation but no bugs since. Very few people are going to log on to a place like Mac Rumors or the Apple Support Discussions to say, "Everything's fine here." They post because they're looking for answers to problems.

Not all of us are mired in bugs. I'm sure the majority of Snow Leopard early adopters are experiencing no problems and that's why you aren't hearing from them.

5. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Exactly.

OP, you can't use MacRumors as a solid source to prove there are a lot of problems with an OS. All you will see on these forums are problems (well, 90% of them). Leopard was pretty much perfect for me and I bought it the day of release.

Any new OS will have bugs when it first comes out. There's only so much testing you can do with a limited amount of people.

It's like buying a new car. The manufacturer does everything they can to make sure your car was made perfectly, but when you get it, you still have a chance of finding problems. If you take it to the dealer, they will fix it for you. Can't expect everything to be 100% perfect.

6. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

Yea, you make a good point.

Anyone using Adobe creative suite CS3 or Dreamweaver more specifically - How's it working? That's a must for me, and I hear it's not OFFICIALLY supported by Adobe to work on 10.6.

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I can't believe that I have to agree with TheSpaz :rolleyes: . Benlee is absolutely right as well. There is no way for any limited release to find all the issues that a wide release will. Say what you will but MS has finally gotten smart in this area, releasing RC's to the public... anyway, SL has been very good to me, no issues to speak of other than the locking of the computer when the screen goes blank. Locking in the sense of security, not freezing.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I don't know about CS3 but CS2 is working fine for me... I must haz Imageready :D

9. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

SL has been running fine for me so far these past couple of days. other than a few 3rd party app incompatibility issues (hopefully most will be resolved with updates from developers) SL feels as snappy and stable as Leopard ever has been. In fact, there are some annoyances and bugs in Leopard that have gone away with my SL install. For a new OS install, this is pretty impressive, and its only gonna get better in the future. For people having problems, i would definitely suggest a clean install instead of going for the upgrade route. Also, incompatibilities are bound to happen, but developers are catching on fairly quickly, so this really shouldn't be an issue. Overall, great upgrade

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

For the majority of users - SL is solid.

However, with each new OS release you will get the:

1) It's snappier thread
    2) It's buggier thread
    3) It wasn't worth $__ thread
    4) Can I be a cheapskate and install on multiple macs thread
    5) I can't believe Apple doesn't support my old hardware thread

...and many other redundant threads I haven't thought of. If ytou have a multicore Mac...get SL and get over "it sucks until it doesn't" mentality. It's a good update.

11. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Yup, no problems here on either my Macbook or my Mac Pro...

Rock solid stable and steady!

12. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

No problems here!

Absolutely no problems here at all.

I did a clean fresh install, on two machines. Everything just works.

A couple of Apps needed updating, but the updates were ready from their developers by the time I installed.

Love SL - best ever OS yet! Rock solid!

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Zero problems here. Exluding OnyX and SafariBlock, all apps work perfectly and OnyX and SB is getting an update soon.

14. highertechnology macrumors 6502

+1

15. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

17. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

To the OP:

Forums skew perceptions. If your computer is working, there is nothing to post. However, if your computer has glitches you can bitch and post all day.

The reality is that there are millions of installs that went well. A small percentage of those that didn't, post about there woes here. That doesn't mean Snow Leopard is broken, it just means a vocal minority is venting.

Snow Leopard was cooked and ready to ship. If you're happier waiting until 10.6.1 or later then do so. Don't post your "sky is falling" nonsense here.

Peace.

18. chriszzz macrumors 6502

It still amazed me all these threads created by people who have not used 10.6, yet are still complaining about it.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, but you had to have also read about the countless posts of people having great experiences, including me. I have a Macbook Pro 13", a Macbook and an iMac 24" and I installed SL on all of them, I did a full reformat and install and installed all my apps back manually. No problems here, and everything just works.

If you're going to take into account the problems people are having then please take into account the people NOT having problems. If people are NOT having problems then the people that are maybe doing something wrong or just migrating all their baggage from Leopard to SL. Remember, we are all using the same OS and the same computers, there's no reason for most people to have good experiences and some not, so don't take the negatives as issues set in stone.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hahahaha! True that! Very good point! The OP is just scared about the other people posting their problems.

OP: You don't know what the other people are doing with their computers. Do they have third party extensions installed? Are they using hacks? Did they do a clean install? Did they upgrade? There's a ton of factors that go into updating an OS safely without problems.

I know that I had a bunch of third party extensions and I even hacked up a bunch of the core OS files in Leopard, so I knew that I would be taking a big risk by just simply updating to Snow Leopard. So I did what a smart person would do.... I just made a backup, erased my hard drive, and started over.

I copied only the essentials back. I didn't worry about my hacked up files, or QuickTime extensions.

I'm pretty impressed with Snow Leopard. It's way better than I thought it would be. I loved Leopard, so the fact that they didn't change it much is a good thing for me!

If I were you, I'd just go and buy Snow Leopard, install it and enjoy it. Life is short.

21. Pamani macrumors regular

Pamani

Looks like the only problems im having is running VMWare Fusion and my controls software. it locks up when im running my diagnostics. everthing on the apple side is MONEY

22. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

My VMWare runs fine.

You know what we don't need? More threads whining about how 'buggy' Snow Leopard is.

Snow Leopard is running great for most users.

23. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

LMAO! So true! :D

24. Pamani macrumors regular

Pamani

yeah, Vmware is fine, but i think its the software in vm im using is locking up... not a big deal though, hitting expose seems to unlock it, weird

25. sputacus macrumors regular

Same here...

Very please with the improved performance I'm seeing with Snow Leopard!