Hitachi 1TB or WD 1TB MyBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by obey908, May 27, 2009.

1. obey908 macrumors 6502a

I am looking at either the Hitachi or the WD MyBook. Both have pretty decent reviews. The hitachi is on sale at newegg for $100 and an additional $20 rebate and free shipping, while the WD is $120 with free shipping.

Looking for personal opinions on which people prefer.

Thanks

2. kboller07 macrumors member

I have had better luck with hitachi drives. i have 8 of them in 2 drobos. The only ones I really stay away from are Seagate. I have 4 2 tb WD drives in my mac pro but those are fairly new. And I also have 2 hitachi 1tb drives in my optical bay that originally came with my computer when I purchased it in March 2008 that are functioning properly as well. I guess it depends on whether you want your drives to be bigger than 1tb because then you have to go to seagate or wd.

*The ones in my drobo are at least 2 years old.
    Never had a hitachi drive fail and have only had 1 wd drive fail since I got my first computer (8 years give or take a little)

Had plenty of seagate drives fail.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I'm personally a big fan of Hitachi drives, but have never had issues with Western Digital drives either. I'd recommend just going with the Hitachi since it's cheaper.