Hitachi 2 and 3TB HD - double in price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Oneness, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Oneness macrumors regular

I was looking at the Hitachi 2TB and 3TB 7200rpm Deskstar hard drives this past summer and I remember the prices on Amazon being around $110-120 for the 2TB and $160-170 for the 3TB drive. I didn't buy them at the time, but am now in the market again.
    So, much to my surprise I looked on Amazon and now the prices are $205-220 for the 2TB and $330 for the 3TB. WHAT HAPPENED!?
    I kinda thought prices for HD generally went down not up, and certainly not double in price.
    Anyone know why?

2. visim91 macrumors 6502

Manufacturing plants in Thailand affected by major flooding.

3. FredTheDeadHead macrumors member

Like was said, there has been long term flooding that shut down many hard drive plants in Thailand. For more info, check out some of the blog entries at...
    http://blog.macsales.com/

4. Oneness thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer. I guess I am out of the market again. Maybe next Christmas. Oh wait, that's 2012 and the end of the world. Maybe I'll never buy another hard drive again. :).

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

This is what WD is supposed to look like about now.

Attached Files:

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I was aware of the reason, but at most places prices are more in the range of double or even triple what they were a few months ago--I bought several 2TB 5K drives for $80 early this year which are now listed for $189 or $199 at the same retailer.

Of course, luck being what it is, this is exactly when circumstances dictate it's time to upgrade the server drives at work, so I may actually have to pay the $300 for several 2TB drives. Ouch.

Things are apparently improving, or so the news says, so prices will hopefully be returning to normal in a few months.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Yeah, last December I picked up a WD 2TB caviar green for about $99 on Amazon and last April I picked up a WB scorpio black 750gb 7200 rpm drive for my MBP for $109 on Amazon. Today they go for almost 2x that and even more in some places. I might be another month or two before prices begin to creep down. On the plus side RAM prices keep dropping