Hitachi 500GB Hard Drive inquiry

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mars478, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Me and My friend recently both got new i7 MacBook Pro's, My friend got the i7 2.66 stock, and I got the 2.8 i7 Anti Glare. Both of our Machines have the same Hard Drive. The Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02. This is a 500GB 5400RPM Hard drive, but both of our machines exhibit very similar behavior. The drive (right palmrest) occasionally clicks, and when you move the computer a little it clicks. I have turned off "Put Hard Drives to sleep when possible" on both of our computers and it still does this. Is this a common issue or is it normal?

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

That is a countermeasure in osx laptops. If they detect sudden, rapid movement, they will park the head of their hard drives to prevent the hard drive getting damaged.

3. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Normal behavior. Sudden motion sensor in use, to protect your hard drive.

4. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Alright, Thank you for the info :) I want to put in a different drive regardless (Seagate Momentus XT) Does this void the warranty?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No.
    Apple even gives instructions on how to replace an HDD.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

6. HussainAL macrumors member

Hi,

I have one newbie question, Is the sudden motion sensor built to the hard drive? Or is it built to the Macbook?

What I mean is if I replaced my hard drive, still I will have sudden motion?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Built into the logic board of the Mac, thus you will get conflicts, if you buy an HDD with its own anti shock system.
    Sudden Motion Sensor.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

8. HussainAL macrumors member

Thanks for your clarification. I was confused because I replaced my hard drive, didn't hear it tick same as before with original Hitachi, I replaced it with Western Digital Scorpion Blue 320GB.

Thanks again

9. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478