Hitachi 7K320 - When can we actually get one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeoLion, Jun 23, 2008.

1. LeoLion macrumors newbie

LeoLion

Ok so from what I've read, it looks like the new hitachi drive is going to be the absolute nuts in speed, noise and power consumption (and a decent capacity!) for us MBP and PB users...

In May we got the "shipping" news... so where is it? I can't find this drive anywhere.... anybody know / heard anything? Or have I just been real stupid and not looked in the right places?:(

2. LeoLion thread starter macrumors newbie

LeoLion

Ok so I feel stupid because I thought I'd searched properly both on google and here... no, no I hadn't. According to another user who apparently contacted Hitachi, the 7K320 won't be out until Q3 this year (July - September)... That kinda sucks but I think I can wait...

3. Yixian macrumors 65816

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They have a WD Scorpio Black which is 320GB @ 7200RPM

5. LeoLion thread starter macrumors newbie

LeoLion

That's true but I think the Hitachi is going to leave the WD for dust...

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Source ?

7. mumstead macrumors newbie

Why would you think the Hitachi is going to be that much faster then the WD? They are very similar in specs and configuration. I just received my 320GB Scorpio Black yesterday and let me tell you it is significantly faster than the stock Hitachi 250GB 5400rpm it replaced.

Xbench Disk Scores

Hitachi 250GB 5400rpm
    Disk test 37.04
    Sequential 70.24
    uncached write 55.66 mb/sec 4k
    uncached write 49.45 mb/sec 256k
    uncached read 11.82 mb/sec 4k
    uncached read 51.69 mb/sec 256k
    Random 25.15
    uncached write 0.89 mb/sec 4k
    uncached write 21.96 mb/sec 256k
    uncached read 0.47 mb/sec 4k
    uncached read 18.65 mb/sec 256k

WD 320GB 7200rpm
    Disk test 51.81
    Sequential 90.81
    uncached write 74.67 mb/sec 4k
    uncached write 67.66 mb/sec 256k
    uncached read 14.43 mb/sec 4k
    uncached read 70.01 mb/sec 256k
    Random 36.24
    uncached write 1.27 mb/sec 4k
    uncached write 38.60 mb/sec 256k
    uncached read 0.61 mb/sec 4k
    uncached read 25.67 mb/sec 256k

I see similar improvements in HDTune under Bootcamp.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Now that's just a poor comparison; you're comparing a lower capacity drive with a slow spindle speed to a faster and larger capacity drive; we're talking about differences between the same capacity and same spindle speed.

9. mumstead macrumors newbie

Well obviously. I was not trying to compare the two to show that the WD was faster than the Hitachi. I was trying to show how much faster the 7200 was compared to the 5400. I just don't understand why you would think two drives with nearly identical specs would perform differently. Why would the Hitachi "leave the WD for dust"? I would expect the Hitachi to perform very close to the WD benchmarks I posted.

10. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Is the Scorpio quiet? That would be the determining factor for me. :)

11. mumstead macrumors newbie

The Scorpio is quiet. At least as quiet as my original drive. I do notice a slight vibration though.

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

where did you order it from?

I've been looking since they were announced but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere except the WD store (which is more expensive than places like newegg will have it for).

13. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I have also been looking for a place to buy the 7k320 drive. Also, where can you buy the 5.4k500 drive?

14. ruskiwi macrumors member

OWC has competitive pricing and excellent customer service. They show shipping time for the 7K320 as "pending" however. Might need to contact them to ask when it will be available.

15. mumstead macrumors newbie

I got my Scorpio Black from the WD store. I couldn't find it anywhere else and I didn't want to wait.

16. nyutnyut macrumors member

do you guys install these drives yourselves? is it that easy?

17. mumstead macrumors newbie

I used the instructions from ifixit.com. The install was actually very easy but you need to take your time and use the right tools. Make sure you have the correct size screwdrivers before you start. The spudger that is recommended is not really necessary but is helpful and does make the removal of the sticky hard drive cable easier. The screws are very tiny and easy to loose. I put the screws from each step in plastic Dixie cups labeled with a magic marker. That way I knew which screws went where in each step when I reassembled the Macbook. Because it was my first time it took me about 45 min start to finish. I'm sure I could do it much quicker now that I know what to expect

18. nyutnyut macrumors member

cool, did you do a fresh install? or did you have to clone your original drive to an external?

19. mumstead macrumors newbie

I cloned my drive using CCC and my Boot camp partition using Winclone. I bought a inexpensive eSATA enclosure and an inexpensive eSATA card from newegg. Both items where less than $50 shipped. This made the cloning go much faster than using a USB enclosure.
    First I hooked my new drive up and partitioned it into two partitions. The second partition I made FAT so I could restore my bootcamp partition to it.
    Next I restored the bootcamp image I made with Winclone to the FAT partition. Winclone will automatically convert the partition to NTFS if that is what your image is.
    Last I used CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone my OS X partition to my new drive.
    When I installed the new drive in my Macbook Pro everthing worked exactly as before only my hard drive was now bigger and faster.

20. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i see no "add to cart"

21. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That means out of stock. But there are two variants: one with and one without the the free-fall sensor. I've been told you'd want the one without (since MBP already have that and the two could interfere with each other). Nevertheless, looks like both are out.

I'm getting the Hitachi 7K320. OWC has stock as pending, but I have my order in.

22. mumstead macrumors newbie

They sell out really fast. I kept checking back two or three times a day until they where in stock. They went back out of stock again shortly after I ordered mine but they where back in stock again yesterday. Keep trying.

23. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

whats the price straight from WD?

that may force me to wait right there, or go 500GB.

24. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

It was around $230-240 IIRC.

My Hitachi 7K320 will end up costing $170 after a $30 rebate.