hitachi hs300a can't get to harddrive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sklba, May 26, 2007.

1. sklba macrumors newbie

Well I bought a hitachi hs300a on an emergency buy and it's been a nightmare. There's no firewire for starters, and it won't appear on my desk top.

I've managed to get to it in disk utilities, and I'm attempting to build an image of it, but I'm not sure it will work.

Outside of using there software, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the information of the cameras hd to my computer. And their software won't import audio because is AC3. Now I'm kinda clueless on all this, so I called Hitachi and was told "there is no way to get audio from the files you import with our software because you're using a mac." which of course made me want to punch them in the face and I'm never buying hitachi again because of this incident.

So can anyone help me get the damn cameras hd to show up on my computer so I can at least see the files I have to work with and can get more confused from there. Thank you very very very much.

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I do not have this camera specifically but if you just bought it... return it.

Otherwise only thing I can think of is try and take out the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure somehow.. but that could be tricky.

How does the camera connect to the computer?

Future Advice for all Forum Searchers: if you are going to be buying a new camera and are going to want to edit your footage, buy a MiniDV camcorder.

3. sklba thread starter macrumors newbie

It connects via usb. (I know, horrible)

So I've managed to get the camera hd emptied, but now I'm having another issue.

I use their software to get video of the mini dvds, in mpg format, and since it's a mac, no audio. I manage to rip the audio using 3rd party software. The video on the mini dvd is VOB format and is only 12 minutes long, half of the actual time, yet when I export it with their software, its the full time. And now the audio and mpgs are off in timing....any idea why?

I really really hate this camera. And thank you for your help.