iPhone Hiya! Please help me, I`m a bit lost :S

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LilianBlack, Jun 25, 2013.

1. LilianBlack macrumors newbie

Hi all!

Sooo I have an iPhone 3GS (new bootrom). It`s jailbroken and have a 4.1 ios. I`d love to update my phone as it`s kinda useless now, I cannot use any apps any more.

I got an advice to restore it with iTunes as I don`t really care if it`s jailbroken and unlocked or not as I`m not using my other sim card any more. But at the same time... I don`t want to lose my texts, my contacts, and especially the game I`ve been playing for half a year.

I was told if I backup with iTunes and than restore, I have to start my phone as a new device and after it was updated for the newest ios, I cannot restore from backup as my phone was jailbroken earlier.

The main thing is that I don`t want to lose the game :S I tried to upgrade it with redsnow but I got the same error: `Found device in DFU mode instead of Recovery Mode` It`s weird because it did ask me to put it in DFU mode.

Help is much appreciated and sorry about my poor english, still learning the language!

Thanks a lot :)

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

Rubbish.

This is exactly what you should do.

Restore as new and then restore again from backup.

The jailbreak doesnt backup to icloud - and you need to restore as new to remove evasion completely.

3. LilianBlack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer! I tried to update it a few month ago, but I screwed it up, I don`t know how. After the update my phone tried to `register` itself via wifi and itunes but I got error all the time, it couldn`t be done so I had to go and find a "store" and they just put back 4.1 onto my phone and said it couldn`t be updated.

I think I pressed update and not restore, so you think it should work this time? I`m very sorry I`m not an expert :S

4. LilianBlack thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I`m doing it.

If I won`t be successful at least I`m off tomorrow and will have time to get it fixed. Don`t really have extra money for that, but I had to try it one last time. I`ll let you know and thanks again for your help!

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

Just remember to backup before you do anything.

And yes, restore is what you need and not update.

Good luck!

6. LilianBlack thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored it and got the following error via iTunes: we are unable to continue with your activation at this time.

on my iphone: Your iphone couldnt be activated because the activation server is temporary unavailable. try connecting your iphone to itunes to activate it or try again in a couple of minutes.

the same msg I got last winter... so it didn`t work, I have a dead phone :(

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

Im no expert on these issues but i understand people generally advise to:

1. Try with a different computer or even usb cable.

OR

2. Try and restore from DFU mode.

Also There is no such solution as "waiting a few more minutes" due to a problem with "a server".

8. LilianBlack thread starter macrumors newbie

I`m tring to restore it in recovery mode. I`ll see... I don`t really know why do I get these errors if I want to restore it factory settings. When I moved to London 3 years ago, and I got my iPhone I just wanted to use my other sim card as well so I brought it to a store and asked to unlock it. I don`t know what did they do exactly with my phone and if it could be fixed.

I had no idea what cydia was and what jailbroken meant until a week ago but I think if I would try to take my phone to an apple store they wouldn`t help me.

9. LilianBlack thread starter macrumors newbie

I solved the problem :) Found a video on youtube.

Thanks for your time anyway :) It`s 5:25 in the morning here, so I`m going to bed :)

thank you and have a great day/night :)