Hlp With Time Capsule and Linksys Together

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Evo-L, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Evo-L macrumors member

Im trying to set my Time Capsule up so it broadcasts 5ghz N only, to my 2 macbook airs. Then I have my old linksys router plugged into the back of the time capsule into one of the ethernet ports, hoping it will broadcast g to my iphone. My iphone is seeing it and working, but my buddies dell laptop isnt connecting to it.

Is there anything I am missing? Or any suggestions to get it working?

Thanks

2. kingpikey macrumors member

It really depends on how you have everything set up... so I'll make a couple assumptions and take a few guesses...

Assuming you have your TC handling the DHCP, you should connect to the Linksys router and configure it to disable the DHCP server, and give it a static IP consistent with that of the TC. (From what you've indicated, sounds like you've already done this stuff.)

Now, if you've set a specific SSID and WEP/WPA key for the linksys router, take note of these things. Check out the advanced portion of your friends wireless settings... there is typically a list of wireless networks that the computer has connected to, each representing specific settings for that wireless network/SSID. You might need to clear these and reconnect to your linksys router.

For example (I'm doing this all from memory, as I don't have a windows PC around at the moment... so some steps might be a little vague)
    - Lets say your linksys router's SSID was "helloWorld" and your WPA key was "abcd1234"
    - Before you got the TC, your friend once connected to "helloWorld" and typed in the key. These settings were saved on his computer.
    - Now you've changed some settings, or even say changed the WPA key to "1234abcd"
    - When you friend's computer sees "helloWorld" it will try to connect with the old key it had, and will fail or get "Limited or no Connectivity"
    - In this case you want to view the list of available wireless networks, click the "Advanced Settings" on the left side of the window
    - From here you will see a list of networks that the computer has connected to, and has saved settings for. From here you'll want to select "helloWorld" and click "Delete." This will remove the settings for "helloWorld" from your friends computer.
    - Now that the old settings have been removed, reconnect to "helloWorld," enter the new WPA key (if necessary), and the new settings will be saved.

Now, the problem may or may not be some WPA / WEP key change, but could have something to do with the new IP range being handed out. Then again, it could also be that the Dell's wireless switch if in the OFF position. :)

Just a guess, hope it helps.

3. Evo-L thread starter macrumors member

Can you further explain changing the DHCP to a static IP? I did not do anythign like that yet, but I have done all the steps after that on the Dell.

What would I change the static IP to?

4. kingpikey macrumors member

Lets say that you have your internet connection (DSL/Cable modem) connected to your TC. I don't know what your TC's IP address is, but I'll assume its 10.10.0.1 for this example.

You will want to connect to your linksys router alone (without it being connect to the TC), and access Linksys' web configuration for the router. If the router is set to default settings, you can get to it by opening a web browser and navigating to http://192.168.1.1

Under the setup tab you'll see a section where you can define the IP address (which should be 192.168.1.1 as mentioned before). This is what your will want to change... maybe to something like 10.10.0.2 (to match the range of the TC). Also under this same tab you will want to click the radio button next to DHCP server: DISABLE. Now save the settings (button at bottom of page).

Once this is done, you can connect the TC to the Linksys router. You'll want to go from one of the 1-4 LAN ports on the TC to one of the 1-4 LAN ports on the linksys router (NOT the internet port on the router). This effectively allows the linksys box to act as a switch and wireless access point.

5. Evo-L thread starter macrumors member

I put in the TC's IP into the Linksys, and it tells me to enter a DNS?

Heres what Im working with here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you get more specific now? I appreciate the help by the way.

6. kingpikey macrumors member

Let me get you to answer a couple more questions before we go on, so I can more accurately help you.

What kind of internet connection do you have? (Cable, DSL, etc.)

Does your Cable / DSL modem assign a public IP address, or a private (local) IP addresses? (You can determine this by going to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and comparing that with the number in IP address from Airport Utility... 70.119.22.230)

Were you using your Linksys router with your internet connection before you got the TC?

Oh, and you don't want to change the static IP section in the Linksys configuraton, that needs to be DHCP. What you want to change is Router IP under Network Setup... change 192.168.1.1 to 70.119.16.2. Then click "Disable" next to "DHCP Server."

7. Evo-L thread starter macrumors member

Im on a cable modem. The website says my IP is 70.119.22.230

I was using it before as my main router.

Ok, hows this look?

[​IMG]

Thanks!!!!:D

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

I don't think that will work. If you're disabling the DHCP server on your Linksys, I think you need to fill in the Local IP Address as 10.0.1.xxx (the default TC DHCP range is 10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.200, but I'm not even sure this would work). What I've done and what you could do is enable the DHCP server on your Linksys and change your Local IP Address to 192.168.1.1 (and you might as well remove the Static DNS IP's). This is the setup I have: TC 500 GB running at 802.11n only 5 GHz with a Linksys WRT54GS connected to a LAN port and acting as a secondary router for my b/g devices (DHCP server enabled). I have multiple devices connecting to the TC if they're N capable, and the Linksys if they're not, without a single problem.

9. Evo-L thread starter macrumors member

Thats what Im trying to do. Hes helping me get there. Can you post up exactly how you got yours to work, and what numbers you used?

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

I just did. So long as your Time Capsule has DHCP enabled, you can keep all the settings in the last picture you posted the same except the Local IP Address (change that to 192.168.1.1), get rid of the Static DNS 1, 2, and 3 (leave them blank), and make sure you have DHCP set to Enable. Now set up your SSID and security settings and you'll be good to go. Now that I type this though, I just realized that maybe your friend's laptop is incompatible with WPA2. Older laptops can generally only handle WPA for the security settings (had to keep my network to WPA until my sister got rid of her old Satellite which only supported WPA). If your friend's computer is seeing the network but unable to connect to it, that's probably what was wrong to begin with. Try setting the security to WPA and connecting his computer if what I just typed doesn't work.

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Ok to double check things for you:

The Ethernet coming from the TC switch is connected to LAN port 1 on the linksys correct ?(DO NOT CONNECT TO THE WAN PORT)

For linksys:

1) Under internet setup set to DISABLE

2) Under Network setup

Your linksys router IP needs to be on the same IP range as the TC (Not 192.168.1.x if your TC is on 10.x). If you set things like this you will NOT be able to access devices on the various networks (such as being connected to the linksys router would mean you couldn't access anything on the TC router). To correct this we make sure ALL devices are in the same range.

You can find out what range your TC is using by looking under DHCP in the airport utility

A)Change the linksys router IP to 10.0.1.2 (Or x.x.x.2 of your TC IP range if its not 10.0.1.x)

B)Set DHCP server to DISABLED

3)Finally on the advanced routing tab change router mode from ROUTER to BRIDGE.

[​IMG]

If you DO not have the above option consider uploading a third-party firmware ... such as the DDWRT

I have done the following and can confirm IT WORKS

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Doing this will mean any device connected to the linksys will NOT be able to see any device connected to the TC.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's true, and that's perfectly fine for my own configuration. I do have to ask you though, setting it up the way you described is essentially extending his current TC network right? So, if his TC is set to wireless N only 5 GHz, can the Linksys still act as a bridge for b/g devices? If that's the case, I'm going to switch my setup to what you just wrote. This is the first time I've used more than one router in a single configuration so I'm still learning all about this sort of stuff...

14. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yes this will turn the linksys into a wireless access point for B/G devices. Just make sure the SSID (wireless network name) on the linksys is different from the TC.

The way I have mine set up is I use a "-n" in the name on the TC to designate the n network.

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thanks! It worked! I can actually mount my TC hdd on either network...

16. kingpikey macrumors member

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Essentially, I am using my linksys router with dd-wrt to handle all routing / DHCP stuff. From one of the ports on my linksys router I connected my AEBS. I have 2 SSID's, one for B/G devices, and the AEBS for my N devices.

Good work everyone, glad everything is working now.

17. cintra macrumors newbie

Many thanks Diode for your clear posts.. I have been wondering if this was possible, now I'll give it a go. Perhaps there is hope for my Squeezebox after all ;)

Mvh