Hm.. Does Matte Glass sound like a good idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Jul 20, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

What if in the future there's some kind of mod where you can pop out the glass on the monitor and put in a matte one?

what do you guys think?
    of course color accuracy will go down the hole but (*K THAT... its a god dam 6bit panel. do your photo editing a real ips panel

but as to reduce glare and mimic the ink on paper a little better, seems like the matte glass could be a solution. those anti glare films just don't seem to cut it.. especially cause of the dithering effect.

2. Sdancott macrumors regular

Sdancott

Say what? I've no idea what you mean

3. kolax macrumors G3

The 17" MBP with matte display has no glass..

Not sure what you are asking.

4. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Oh, what i mean is a glass that is kinda 'fuzzy' i guess

and that glass will take place of the current smooth glossy glass

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

So let me get this straight, you want to turn a completely transparent glass have a matte finish?..... a "fuzzy look" meaning a frost effect? Well thought through!

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

They do have special glass that has less glare, for example higher end prescription glasses or glass used in some museums.

Honestly I would just prefer to remove the glass all together and have a less reflective glossy screen and save some weight as I won't have to carry around a giant chunk of glass.

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Does anyone know the weight of that matte model? I can only find the standard 17" weight online, but others have noted that the glass add almost a pound...

8. The General macrumors 601

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

that would be frosted glass. That wouldnt work.

10. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It won't work with glass. For frosted glass to stop reflections, the etched side would have to be out. That puts the frosted surface a millimeter or two from the screen, which will make it very blurry. Try holding a piece of paper like a receipt or a piece of tracing paper directly on the screen, then hold it slightly in front of the screen and notice that it is now very blurry.

In fact, the matte films they sell might not be working to their full potential because of the layer of glass in the way. If the underlying panel is glossy, I wonder if the glass could be removed and the matte film could be stuck on directly? Anyone know how hard it is to remove the glass, and what's underneath?