Hmm $60 squaretrade warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nrwrit3r, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Since you'd get the bumper to stop the iPhone from shattering, it's $30.

The squaretrade warranty is $99..so would it be better to just get the warranty, not use a case, and basically get a $60 2 year damage guarantee?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

SOme people get the bumper so they don't constantly drop calls :). Squaretrade won't help with that.

3. Nrwrit3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

I heard you still have to hold it a different way.

4. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I will say this. All the cases I have found suck. I have used some rubber Radioshack brand, and a Griffin clear something. They both are loose and allow dirt on the phone. From what I am reading the bumper that apple sells is loose as well. The Griffin case actually allowed dirt in so much it put a minor scratch on the back of my phone.

Here's the deal. It's a phone. I bought a new car last July. It has scuffs and scratches and is worth WAY more than my phone. It's part of life. The more you worry about protecting it the more it will upset you.

That being said I still would like to have some sort of protection against MAJOR damage. Just like I insure my car.

So I went with the squaretrade thing and decided to ditch my efforts in protecting the phone. If it breaks or something major happens it's covered. Minor wear and tear I am ok with. I intend to use the phone the way it was meant to be used. Just like it is, out of the box. Just like Jobs showed it off and just like the commercials show people using it. It's a phone. It's a tool that's meant to be used. Minor wear and tear showing is part of showing utilization of said tool.

Good luck with your decision.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The Apple Bumper case truly feels like part of the iPhone, it is not loose at all.

@OP I have no issues with reception only if I have the bumper on.

6. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

I'm starting to think this is a better solution at the moment also. The case seems to help a lot, but it still isn't guaranteed to keep it safe. I'm just worried about the sort of rules they would have with it.

I don't want to be screwed if (for example) it breaks on a Wednesday and the contract says they only replace it if it's broken on a Monday.

7. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I hope this is the case. I still may buy one to clear up the dropped signals I get. However, I wont like the look one bit. Accessories are just that. If it wasn't given with the actual item it is meant to enhance. I'm just not a fan of paying money to "enhance" when it should work right from day one the way it's supposed to.

8. BadMoon macrumors 6502

It depends on what safe is to you. Safe to me is having a working phone. This insurance will cover that and then some. So if I drop the phone and the glass shatters they will fix it. I'm not going to call them with a sob story and have them replace the glass every time I get a scuff. Nor do I expect them to do so. It's insurance against damage that would prevent me from using the phone. If they don't cover that well then we would have problems. However, after reading reviews and testimonials of their company I don't think I will have an issue when it comes to my way of thinking.

9. Nrwrit3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks :) This was the logic through which I was thinking I should get squaretrade (which is why to me it's only $60 for it, since the case is $30+)

10. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Not a problem. Good luck! :cool:

11. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I feel inspired, thanks for the post lol.

Does squaretrade cover theft for the $99 phone? I'm assuming you would need a police report.

12. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

Appreciate it, now I'm definitely going for ST also. The stories about people breaking their phones already are starting to get to me.

13. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Wasn't there reports a couple of years ago about State Farm offering personal insurance for cell phones costing over $400 for like $30 a year with no deductable? Is there any truth to this?

14. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

This is quite possibly the best response to a post I have seen in ages! Nicely played sir, nicely played. :cool:

15. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Theft or loss is NOT covered under this plan. That is one thing to be aware of.

16. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Sorry I'm not delving into myself, but any clue how much a plan that covers theft costs? (If even available)

I appreciate it...

17. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I don't think any of their plans do (squaretrades). Here I'll post this for you. Hope it helps. Notice the crazy difference in rates? I will stick with squaretrade. I don't believe I will lose my phone. And if it gets stolen it's my fault for setting it down some place.

[​IMG]

18. coelacanth macrumors 6502

SquareTrade doesn't have a plan with theft coverage. SafeWare.com does but the price/system structure is a bit different from SquareTrade so visit their website for details.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Bumper semi-protects it for the full life (mine is in the mail so don't know how much it protects ip4)

Squaretrade protects 1 accident

20. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I've thought about these and I've decided I find them borderline useful, more than likely a waste of money.

Here are my thoughts:

A squaretrade warranty goes for, what, 100 bucks? I know the OP says 60 but I can't get a code for 60. So we'll go with 100.

There is also a 50 dollar deductable. So if something happens and you need to make a claim, you are out 150. For 150 bucks you probably aren't getting a new iphone. From the Squaretrade site:

*Once you ship in a broken iPhone and we receive at our depot, 80% of phones are fixed and shipped back the same day

So you spent, at a minimum, 100 bucks to get insurance. Than if something goes wrong you're going to spend another 50 bucks to 'activate' the insurance. On top of that, you're without a phone for a few days.

OR ....

Just utilize Apple's out of warranty option. So long as you don't completly destroy it and bring it back in pieces, 199 bucks nets you a replacement phone. It may be a refurb but Apple refurbs are excellent. The exchange doesn't extend your ATT contract either. Yah, its 50 bucks more, but the service is immediate. Also, obviously if you don't pooch your phone you are out NO MONEY AT ALL.

This is the route I'm going anyway ...