Hmm Buy now or wait a bit longer? MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryox, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

    Ryox

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    UK
  2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #2
    BUY NOW.

    There is no new technology available for a Major Update to the MacBook Pro.

    The new Penryn chips are at most 2 to 4% faster in 95% of all applications -- that's it. You would NEVER notice the difference.

    Besides these chips are delayed. And they could have bugs or performance issues when they do ship.

    Apple will NOT be touching the overall design of the MBP for a LONG time to come.

    Here's why:
    1) They are selling like hotcakes, really,
    2) PCWORLD and Information Week both rated the MBP 17" a BEST BUY among PC (windows) Laptops ONE MONTH AGO,
    3) The Mac Pros use the same "look and feel" as the MacBook Pro -- both would be updated at the same time. The Mac Pros were just released with new processors.

    The Current Mac Book Pros are state of the art.

    I bought my 2.6ghz 17" three weeks ago and love it. It flys.
     
  3. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #3
    I'm sitting on the same fence.

    Well, it's been a while since the last update and based on history an update is due, not that this really means anything.

    My guess, IF there is to be an update to Penryn's before the summer, it will come as soon as there are volumes of CPU's availalbe. And that would mean the only changes would be CPU, maybe harddrive, maybe available BTO for high res screen.

    I may hang out for a couple of weeks to see. I'm also wondering if I should resolve myself to wait for a full on remodel of the MBP in the summer.
     
  4. timtam macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2007
    Location:
    BaLi
  5. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #5
    If you need it now, buy now. I highly doubt you will see a redesign this summer: next fall perhaps, but not summer.
     
  6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #6
    Buy now. Updates didn't come last week or this week. Keep waiting for "next week", and you'll be in June before you know it.
     
  7. CST macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #7
    I'm buying

    Yeah, me too. Finally.
     
  8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #8
    Yeah, I am also on the edge. I just sold my MB and I need a new computer right now. Part of me wants to wait and just buy the new MBP, or just buy one now. I am looking into either getting a refurb 2.4GHz 15" or a 2.2GHz 15" ($1700 is a deal). Will Penryn be that big of a difference? I saw a 5-10% improvement on battery, how about GPU??
     
  9. TStewart422 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    #9
    I'm depositing my paycheck, driving to the university, and buying a brand-new Macbook Pro! Let the excitement begin!
     
  10. Batt macrumors 65816

    Batt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    #10
    I've been saying "buy now" for six weeks. Repeat: Buy now. And get the glossy:)
     
  11. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #11
    Penryn is only a 2 to 5% speed improvement among 95% of all applications.

    Some apps that use the SS(something else) instruction set will get higher but these apps are mostly related to audio, if I remember correctly (and I may not, so do not flame me).

    The MBP is an EXCELLENT WORLD CLASS MACHINE AS IT STANDS.

    Check out these reviews from ONE MONTH AGO:

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123729-page,1-c,notebooks/article.html

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135062-page,1-c,notebooks/article.html

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html
     
  12. paul17win macrumors member

    paul17win

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    #12
    im so mad right no, its sort of a state of disbelief....no depression is better word
     
  13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #13
    Wow...Apple updated the Refurb page...2.16GHz C2D 15" is going for $1499...hint maybe? I really don't know.
     
  14. brokenlighter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
  15. esvee macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #15
    I decided I would buy the next major update to the mbp back in august, needless to say I'm severely dissapointed with no update today. But in any case I'll still hold out because I'm not about to drop $2k on something that could be outdated in a couple months. I'd like to see an led backlight atleast. Since its been so long I'd expect some sort of design change as well.

    Looks like I'll just keep nursing my wounded pcs.
     
  16. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #16
    You are not going to see a design change for a long time: at least 6 months and more likely 9 to 12.
     
  17. Mezzle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    Scotland
    #17
    Was gonna buy a MBP before Christmas, decided to hold off until today so nothing lost! A bit dissapointed as I know that in 6 months time my machine will be 'out dated' (currently using a 17" Powerbook which works fine so out dated is hardly the correct term) but i'll just have to live with that!
     
  18. EmDizzle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #18
    Just bought MBP 2.2GHz from the Apple Store for $1700. After waiting 3 months for MacWorld, today I was kicking around the idea of waiting to see if the refurbed models would go down in price, but I can't abide waiting for something that probably won't happen... my only regret is waiting this long!
     

Share This Page