Hmm Buy now or wait a bit longer? MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryox, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

BUY NOW.

There is no new technology available for a Major Update to the MacBook Pro.

The new Penryn chips are at most 2 to 4% faster in 95% of all applications -- that's it. You would NEVER notice the difference.

Besides these chips are delayed. And they could have bugs or performance issues when they do ship.

Apple will NOT be touching the overall design of the MBP for a LONG time to come.

Here's why:
    1) They are selling like hotcakes, really,
    2) PCWORLD and Information Week both rated the MBP 17" a BEST BUY among PC (windows) Laptops ONE MONTH AGO,
    3) The Mac Pros use the same "look and feel" as the MacBook Pro -- both would be updated at the same time. The Mac Pros were just released with new processors.

The Current Mac Book Pros are state of the art.

I bought my 2.6ghz 17" three weeks ago and love it. It flys.

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'm sitting on the same fence.

Well, it's been a while since the last update and based on history an update is due, not that this really means anything.

My guess, IF there is to be an update to Penryn's before the summer, it will come as soon as there are volumes of CPU's availalbe. And that would mean the only changes would be CPU, maybe harddrive, maybe available BTO for high res screen.

I may hang out for a couple of weeks to see. I'm also wondering if I should resolve myself to wait for a full on remodel of the MBP in the summer.

4. timtam macrumors member

5. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

If you need it now, buy now. I highly doubt you will see a redesign this summer: next fall perhaps, but not summer.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Buy now. Updates didn't come last week or this week. Keep waiting for "next week", and you'll be in June before you know it.

7. CST macrumors member

I'm buying

Yeah, me too. Finally.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah, I am also on the edge. I just sold my MB and I need a new computer right now. Part of me wants to wait and just buy the new MBP, or just buy one now. I am looking into either getting a refurb 2.4GHz 15" or a 2.2GHz 15" ($1700 is a deal). Will Penryn be that big of a difference? I saw a 5-10% improvement on battery, how about GPU??

9. TStewart422 macrumors member

I'm depositing my paycheck, driving to the university, and buying a brand-new Macbook Pro! Let the excitement begin!

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I've been saying "buy now" for six weeks. Repeat: Buy now. And get the glossy:)

11. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Penryn is only a 2 to 5% speed improvement among 95% of all applications.

Some apps that use the SS(something else) instruction set will get higher but these apps are mostly related to audio, if I remember correctly (and I may not, so do not flame me).

The MBP is an EXCELLENT WORLD CLASS MACHINE AS IT STANDS.

Check out these reviews from ONE MONTH AGO:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123729-page,1-c,notebooks/article.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135062-page,1-c,notebooks/article.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

12. paul17win macrumors member

paul17win

im so mad right no, its sort of a state of disbelief....no depression is better word

13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wow...Apple updated the Refurb page...2.16GHz C2D 15" is going for $1499...hint maybe? I really don't know.

14. brokenlighter macrumors member

15. esvee macrumors member

I decided I would buy the next major update to the mbp back in august, needless to say I'm severely dissapointed with no update today. But in any case I'll still hold out because I'm not about to drop $2k on something that could be outdated in a couple months. I'd like to see an led backlight atleast. Since its been so long I'd expect some sort of design change as well.

Looks like I'll just keep nursing my wounded pcs.

16. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

You are not going to see a design change for a long time: at least 6 months and more likely 9 to 12.

17. Mezzle macrumors newbie

Was gonna buy a MBP before Christmas, decided to hold off until today so nothing lost! A bit dissapointed as I know that in 6 months time my machine will be 'out dated' (currently using a 17" Powerbook which works fine so out dated is hardly the correct term) but i'll just have to live with that!

18. EmDizzle macrumors newbie

Just bought MBP 2.2GHz from the Apple Store for $1700. After waiting 3 months for MacWorld, today I was kicking around the idea of waiting to see if the refurbed models would go down in price, but I can't abide waiting for something that probably won't happen... my only regret is waiting this long!