Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your link is dead.

A quick google seems to have a few hits on this, but none from any real credible sites.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
They better do it fast - Apple was rumored to be looking into too - if for nothing other than to keep Facebook out of the Mobile Phone market.

(Facebook was supposedly looking into creating/licensing it's own "Facebook Phone", which would be independent of any other Smartphone out there, like Android, iOS, WIndows Phones, etc...)

They already bought Instagram, so they definitely have money to throw around.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
They already bought Instagram, so they definitely have money to throw around.

The deal is not complete yet and the FTC is investigating the purchase too.

FB doesn't have enough money to buy RIM without depleting most of its cash and/or a lot of stock.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
People need to learn to read before they go posting threads with no basis in fact.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Still, the site has rules about posting baseless rumors.

I'd like to know what so baseless about this thread. The OP provided a link and we all know about Facebook rumors of trying to get into the phone hardware business. IMO, it would actually make sense. Why start from scratch when you can buy out an already existing company that doesn't seem to get with the times.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'd like to know what so baseless about this thread. The OP provided a link and we all know about Facebook rumors of trying to get into the phone hardware business. IMO, it would actually make sense. Why start from scratch when you can buy out an already existing company that doesn't seem to get with the times.

What isn't baseless?

An Analyst pulls something ot of his ass and it's a rumor? Come on.

BamaATL

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
People need to learn to read before they go posting threads with no basis in fact.

A large portion of the posts on this site "have no basis in fact".

I'm not bashing this site. I like it. But it is what it is. It's not call MacRumors for nothing.

All you people complaining about this thread need to chill out. Yes it's just wild speculation but that's what makes everything so fun.. Talking about the possibilities.

How many macrumors articles start "according to X analyst..." this is the same thing.

That being said, I think the idea is pretty ridiculous and would be a complete failure if it were to happen

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I doubt they will do it. RIM is more or less dead in the water. I'm sure there is some useful designs and patents floating around, but the real reason to buy RIM is to eliminate it, and facebook as of yet has no reason to be concerned about how many smartphone ecosystems there are.

That whole thing with instagram... to me it still makes no sense. Instagram could not have been worth that much money. And I don't see a way to get back what they put in to it. I know they released their own camera app that is basically a instagram clone but how is that generating any more revenue for them?

Facebook is probably going to go the way of MySpace sooner than later.

I'd imagine Apple or another big cell phone hardware company would snag RIM way before facebook.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Hello All,

Just stumbled upon this article.

http://http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/347691/20120601/facebook-smartphone-blackberry-rim-takeover.htm

Hopefully, you can read it. It's very interesting.

RIM will not be sold to another non-Canadian company and continue to function as a mobile industry company. The Investment Canada Act literally makes it nearly impossble for a foreign company to purchase a Canadian company like this.

RIM may be auctioned off for its patents, however (a la NORTEL), but will be killed as a company. I'm not sure the Canadian gov't would allow this to happen though. They would more likely bail out RIMM, essentially dumping money into a penny stock company that continues to fail. I don't think the Canadian gov't has much choice though.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Facebook is looking to calm a lot of po'd early investors after the ipo fiasco. They need a hard product and it will be a phone. It will also be a huge disaster and may be the beginning of the end for fb

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
What will the rumored Facebook phone do better than the smartphones that are currently out there?

Aside from FB fans (is there such a thing?), who is going to buy a phone that's main selling feature is supposed tighter integration with the site?

Even if they got RIM, and integrated FB chat with BBM, it's still only marginally better than using an app for iOS or Android.

Strange rumors indeed...

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
What will the rumored Facebook phone do better than the smartphones that are currently out there?

Aside from FB fans (is there such a thing?), who is going to buy a phone that's main selling feature is supposed tighter integration with the site?

Even if they got RIM, and integrated FB chat with BBM, it's still only marginally better than using an app for iOS or Android.

Strange rumors indeed...

Exactly. All a fb phone would do would be eliminate one click... Maybe. Smartphones are ALReady facebook phones. A facebook phone would be a huge flop.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
remember these guys? There big gimmick was that the phone was built to be used in conjunction with MySpace. At the time I'm sure that seemed like a great idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helio_(wireless_carrier)

I think the problem is you can't depend on these things sticking around for too long. Facebook has had a very long run by internet standards, which would lead me to believe it is more than half way through its lifespan by now. I'm just making assumptions, but I think you guys get my point.

iOS, Android, Windows, they all adapt to whatever is hip at the moment because you can install and delete apps in seconds. But having a phone that ties in to facebook raises a lot of questions. I would have my doubts as to what kind of 3rd party apps would/wouldn't be allowed. Not only that but since they are just now considering entering the mobile phone market, they are insanely behind the bar. By the time they got an actual product to market facebook might be the new livejournal.

Anyway, it is kind of sad to see RIM go. I used to love my blackberry back in the day. I used to have a very boring post at my job and that blackberry made life pretty sweet. Not to mention it had some features iOS STILL DOESN'T HAVE. I switched to iOS about 4 years ago (hard to believe) and I still miss that blackberry sometimes.

RIP RIM, you were a true pioneer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.