hmm...leaving mbp on table

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspired, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

So I had to help my college prof carry some stuff to his office. I forgot to put my mbp to sleep and I left it there for about 10minutes. Should I worry that anyone in my class might have installed a keylogger or anything? Sorry if this is a noob question, I'm just new to macs.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

there is this lovely option in keychain access preferences to show a menubar icon which allows you to lock your computer :)

3. eaf7s macrumors regular

You should probably burn the device, just to be safe. You can't be too careful in these situations. They are likely onto you.

4. NewToMac11 macrumors member

anything is possible. but i prob would not worry about it.

5. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

thanks, I will try that out next time

thanks for the sarcasm

Alright I'll try not to :)

6. NewToMac11 macrumors member

atleast i would hope people would have some respect not to touch someones elses property.

7. bperrella macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Consider yourself lucky nobody stole it.. that's how my ipad got stolen

8. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I don't even know of any keylogging applications for the Mac. You can use the Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor to look for suspicious applications running on your Mac.

By the way, pressing your Power button brings up a menu, one of the options being Sleep. Just press S for Sleep. The other way is to press Option+Command+Eject.

9. NJuul macrumors 6502

In the future, you can set the screensaver to activate when you put your cursor into a "hot corner" (in expose preferences), and set your system to require your password when the screensaver has been activated.
    This will probably do the same as the keychain trick though (I wasn't aware of that).

10. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Check the system monitor for any suspicious threads.
    That's all you need to check.

11. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I know this was a sarcastic comment, but I do think the sentiment isn't too far off. You're talking about leaving a $1100+ device out in an uncontrolled and unguarded environment where you don't know and trust most of the people there. From both a personal information, and a personal property standpoint this is just highly irresponsible. You should seriously reconsider whether you should be bringing your laptop with you into this setting in the future. At the very least you need to lock your screen and use a Kensington lock. Either that or always be prepared to close your screen and go at a moment's notice.

12. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

I doubt anyone installed a keylogger, but I'm pretty sure somebody tea-bagged your keyboard while you were away.

How does it smell?

13. eaf7s macrumors regular

+ so many

14. Hazel macrumors member

Hazel

If I were an unscrupulous fellow in your class, I'd rather steal your mac than install a keylogger. just saying. I think you're fine.

15. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Best reply EVER! :eek:

16. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I'm too much of a goody goody to to not help my college prof >< and it was one of those moments where he asked for some assistance to bring stuff into his office for him. So I just kind of forgot to lock up my screen.

Smells normal

I use my laptop for almost everything including online banking.

I'm not that great at looking through system monitor, anybody know enough about macs that can check this out for me?

Attached Files:

17. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

18. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks for the sarcasm. :(

19. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Can you do an online malware scan to check it out?

20. paleriderc2d macrumors member

Nothing appears out of place on that list. Specific programs that you are running stand out but everything else looks normal.

Even Firefox looks normal. ;)

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

i wouldn't worry too much ... seems you already have learned not to do this again.

If it had been stolen ... we won't even go there.

22. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

23. paleriderc2d macrumors member

The likelihood that someone in your class is running around with a CD or Flash drive with some sort of malware designed for OS X is extremely low. The odds of the computer being stolen were much higher, and obviously that did not happen.

Relax and never leave your computer unattended - on or off.

24. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Yeah, really. I love OS X but...(forget it this isn't the trend for this discussion). Thanks for replying though :)

Thanks everyone who replied I appreciate every comment, positive or negative :) I love the Apple community:apple:

25. paleriderc2d macrumors member

:)

Life is just a series of learning experiences connected by excitement, indifference or apprehension. I hope you can move beyond apprehension now.

The 2012 MBP's will have a remote self destruct that you can access through your iPod, iPhone, or iPad in case of theft. ;)