Hmm, Opinion.. Fix or give up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ccrew, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Ok, jury's out for me on this one. Tell me your opinion.

Son brought me his girlfriend's 2 month old base model 15" cMBP. Took a 16oz glass of Dr. Pepper straight into the keyboard while running. Up in smoke.

Took it to the Apple store after I looked inside and flinched. Apple wants $1240 to fix it, no voided warranty, stand behind it for the rest of it's warranty, can still buy Applecare.

Worth fixing? I'm on the fence. Opinions?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If it was paid with a credit card check to see if they offer any form of insurance. Else your home owners insurance may cover it.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Can you replace it for $1240? If the answer is no then fix it, right now it's worth a few hundred for the case and screen. It's always cheaper to fix than replace.

4. 184550 Guest

FWIW, for an extra $300 you can get a brand new refurb from Apple.

Though if they're saying the warranty will remain unaffected and valid, personally, I'd just pay for the repairs.

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Homeowner's or credit card should cover it. As mentioned earlier in the thread.

6. Ccrew thread starter macrumors 68020

No insurance and was a gift from her grandmother, paid cash at Best Buy. We're talking a 19yo girl here, not many of them that I know of carry much insurance, and she and my son live together, so no rental insurance. Thanks though.

----------

Yeah, that's where I am with the $300 part. Were it my $ I'd go that route. To a couple of kids just starting to play house that's a lot of $ any way you shake it.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sell it on eBay. There is always sum nut job who thinks he can fix anything. The good screen itself should worth $100+(?) and the casing for a guy who's got his casing dented.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If her license address is still her parent's house, they can claim it. Just one last shot.

Also you might suggest rental insurance for them, I know it can be dirt cheap ($10-$20/mo).

9. Ccrew thread starter macrumors 68020

I wholeheartedly agree, albeit Dad's influence only carries so far :)

10. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Wife and I are renting right now as I'm only going to be in this area a short while, paying $11/month for renters insurance with a $100 deductible. Why the heck wouldn't ya?

If I were in your shoes, I would try and sell it on eBay for $500. If nobody buys it, you're out $1200ish for repairs. If someone buys it for $500 thinking they can fix it (or to use it for parts), then you can turn around and buy a refurb and be ahead a few bucks.

Of course, for all the hassle of that, it still may be easier to just pay the $1240 and get it fixed. Might also ask Apple what they think is wrong with it. iFixit, among other sources, carry many parts. You may see what it would cost you to replace the logic board (which is what I assume is going to be what they tell you is wrong with it), they keyboard, and clean the rest out with alcohol really well. If you're handy you can do the work yourself. Warranty would likely be void though.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Give 'em time. The older I got, the smarter my Dad became.:eek:

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Not at all worth it as even when they fix it, something could go wrong a few months later. It would be better to buy a new pc or mac.

13. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Something 'could' go wrong with a brand new one too! If he got it repaired, he'd save a few bucks and have at least 12 months of peace of mind (3 years if he goes with Apple Care)

14. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Something 'could' go wrong with a brand new one too! If he got it repaired, he'd save a few bucks and have at least 12 months of peace of mind (3 years if he goes with Apple Care)

15. hawon macrumors member

Get a new cMBP. Even the lower basic specs should be better than 2 hrs old one.