Hmm.... Should my four year old eMac be doing this?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ilanasaysrawr, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ilanasaysrawr macrumors member

My eMac has been extremely annoying in the following case:

I had to make a video for my Film Class in school. It is about 7G. I completed the video, fortunately, but every time i played it back, it would be extremely choppy. The audio is choppy as well. Occasionally it would freeze and the rainbow swirl cursor would start to appear.

I have 1G of RAM and 22.6G of memory in my hard drive.
    The computer is now in the apple store for the night.

They say that an eMac is obviously not created for making videos... But why would there be a movie application on the computer by default? There has to be some extent of making movies.

I hope to get serious with film one day... And i really need your advice on this. My movie will not play back!

2. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

The eMac is designed for small home movies. 7 GBs is MUCH bigger than that. I wouldn't expect it to play 100% well on my iMac even.

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

4. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Talking to me, or the OP? I'd say if the OP is going to be editing 7 GB videos, then definitely he shouldn't have even gotten an eMac to begin with.

5. tom.96 macrumors regular

Yeah 7GB is massive! I've done some home movies with imovie on my C2D Macbook with leopard and its all fine, no probs at all - but nothing like 7GB!

6. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

well, I would assume, and we all know what assuming does, that he didnt dream of making 7GB movies 4 years ago. I know I didnt when I got my emac. I also thought the 80GB HD and 1Ghz was more then i would ever need. and..o..I thought the graphics was amazing. :)

7. ilanasaysrawr thread starter macrumors member

hey cmon! i've got my eye on one of those 24" iMacs :)
    however, i'm still a student...unfortunately..so i'm not exactly made of money. i do the occasional babysitting for ten bucks an hour.

But thanks a whole lot. :)

8. ADent macrumors 6502a

How long is the 7 GB movie? That would be a full length 2hr movie on a commercial DVD.

The eMac will not display HD content.

Also are you playing back at single size? Full screen or anything else than double/half will slow it down too.

9. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

My 6 year old TiBook can edit and play back .dv files. I used it all through uni and edited some fairly long films on it so I assume it should at least play back the movie...

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

haha...someday it will be yours...how about a external hard-drive to solve your problem?:)

11. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

My 3 year old 1.25GHz eMac with 768MB of RAM and running Tiger does the same thing. The eMac definitely was not made for making large videos of any kind. However, it's not so choppy that it messes up the audio to. I don't know, the machines can be weird at times.

12. ilanasaysrawr thread starter macrumors member

Funny you should say that! I hooked up the hard drive last week, and it didn't even recognize it! The little exclaimation point came up and said something like "this external drive cannot be opened"

I WAS SO MAD.
    I have so much information on there as it is.
    I even tried hooking it up to a computer in the apple store. Same thing happened. =(