Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
It's really cute, any time I try to use the F word in a text (not THAT frequently)... it autocorrects it to say fuch...

lol wtf apple

ajwchin

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Raleigh
I get duck too - more of the fact that it doesn't recognize the f-word as a word and just autocorrects it. Never gotten fuch.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Mine learned the words fine. Sometimes it will try to change f___ to duck, but I just hit the x in the bubble, and it doesn't change. And sometimes it doesn't even suggest the change now. In fact, I accidentally wrote "gucking" and it auto corrected to the word in question - and now does it every single time. You just have to be relentless in correcting the word from duck or ducking, and eventually it will learn what you intend to say.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
In light of today's current events I am finding it difficult not to use the word in texts and emails.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
In light of today's current events I am finding it difficult not to use the word in texts and emails.

I know how you feel. Ducking financial analysts.

The funny thing is, the old 1.x firmware was actually profanity-friendly:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/30/iphone-pottymouth-friendly/

I guess after the word got out though, Apple decided to remove the bad words from the iPhone's dictionary. That, or a bunch of duck hunters complained about inadvertent cursing in their text messages and e-mails. ;)

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
mine has learned the F word and many other words.

BUT it always wants to replace ky with it, ok for the occasional jelly reference, but when you live in kentucky it gets old

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I never curse (not that I find it shocking or anything ... I'm Irish and used to hearing it all the time ... I just never learned to do it with any conviction) and I don't remember ever using it on my iPhone, but I just tried it and it learned after the second time I prevented it from replacing it with duck.

I have a first gen iPhone version 2.1 firmware.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008

BUT it always wants to replace ky with it, ok for the occasional jelly reference, but when you live in kentucky it gets old

Yah, I would say short forms are the most annoying thing because you type them to save time, but the phone auto corrects so either you have to hit the x, or you forget and then have to go back and retype it, and then sometimes hit the x again. It's usually faster to just type the whole word in the end. :(

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
F**king seems to always work for me, but like everyone else I get duck too...

Though i cant really blame apple, I mean what if someone accidentally typed sent a message, that could cause some pretty interesting problems....

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yeah but it's kind of an inside joke for iPhone users, right? When someone says "ducking Palin" we know exactly what they mean. ;)

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee

lol, same here. For some reason it doesn't like to learn two letter words. I hate having to hit the x each time I type ky.

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I never curse (not that I find it shocking or anything ... I'm Irish and used to hearing it all the time ... I just never learned to do it with any conviction) and I don't remember ever using it on my iPhone, but I just tried it and it learned after the second time I prevented it from replacing it with duck.

I have a first gen iPhone version 2.1 firmware.

An Irishman that doesn't curse. Must not live in the Boston area.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I was in an awkward situation because the iPhone suggests the word "sex" when you try to type "sec" (like 'one sec'). Thankfully the girl I was texting understood when I explained it to her. Fweww!!! :D

PatrickRS

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
I was in an awkward situation because the iPhone suggests the word "sex" when you try to type "sec" (like 'one sec'). Thankfully the girl I was texting understood when I explained it to her. Fweww!!! :D

You mean, you didn't start a class action lawsuit???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.