Hmmm... Asking a question for my brother.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Apr 13, 2008.

?

What should he do?

  1. Tell him to see the light and forge ahead in the wait for Montevina

    22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Tell him to get real and get Penryn.

    14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #1
    My brother right now has a 2.2SR MBP (some of you might remember me posting about his MBP and his weird battery problem... 5 hours one day, 1 hour the next day, then back to 5 hours). So... Here's the deal. He's looking for a new MBP. In reality, his is good still for perhaps another year.

    Now, here's the cut: He's going to college, and is thinking of getting new. He's thinking of either getting Penryn now, or waiting for Montevina. Right now, evidence points to a June onwards release for Montevina, but no guarantees. He's thinking that the max he's willing to wait is october. If Montevina comes before then, he'll take Montevina. If most people don't think that Montevina will come before then, then he's just gonna get penryn... and he said he doesn't want to wait and see if montevina comes out before then, and "just get Penryn" if it doesn't, as he wants the tech while it's fresh, be it Penryn or Montevina.

    What say you guys? Please post reasons and not just your votes... thanks...
     
  2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

    creator2456

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago
    #2
    At least wait to see what Apple has planned for the Back-To-School Sale.

    He has a perfectly good MBP (other than a weird battery problem) that can hold out until at least June.
     
  3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #3
    Hmm. I'll pass the message on. Any more suggestions, people?
     
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #4
    really, other than the battery issue, what is wrong with his SR MBP? nothing?

    i don't see why he needs to upgrade so soon personally, but i'd wait it out for another refresh at least if its necessary.
     
  5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #5
    i think the question is what does he plan to do with it?
     
  6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #6
    i voted wait, as it gives me a perverse thrill to imagine people perpetually pining away for the uncertainties of the future.
     
  7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #7
    if his computer is in working condition then keep it. It's only last generation the penryn one won't be much better. It also gives him a chance to save his money and get a better one.
     
  8. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #8
    Well... I'm gonna do some ported games with Cider... and I DO use Aperture and some movie editting now and again. But mainly non-heavy stuff. It's not really a question of which I should get based on performance though. It's really a "is montevina REALLY coming before oct" thing.

    ~Raymondu999's brother.
     
  9. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

    paul.b.davis

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    Location:
    Over the hills and far away...
    #9
    If you can do all of those things well on your current MBP, why get a new one at all?

    Maybe instead just spend some money on upgrading the RAM to 4GB (if it is not already there) and maybe buying yourself a piece of software.

    It just seems silly to spend 2 grand on a new MBP when you still have a great machine that will last you many years (I used my PowerBook G4 until this last October)
     
  10. adam^-^ macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    I'd pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Why spend a load of money on a minimal increase in performance/power?

    You might as well wait until there is more of a significant upgrade.
     
  11. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #11
    Wait, wait longer then Oct...he'll have wasted some $$ if he upgrades now.


    Put some RAM in it, or a faster HD. that will hold him over past Oct
     
  12. cwalex18 Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    United States
    #12
    Your brother has a perfectly good computer right now. Wait till new MacBook Pros are released, and then think about upgrading. If your brother is looking to speed up his computer, he can't go wrong with more RAM.
     
  13. DaveF macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    NoVA
    #13
    Your brother needs to call AppleCare and have them replace his battery.

    What makes more sense: an 18 month old computer and $2000 cash for college books, gas money, etc. or a new laptop for freshman year?
     
  14. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #14
    Thanks for your input guys... and it's 10-6 in the votes, to favor Montevina. But with the rumors lately of a redesign coming with Montevina, do you think it can be considered a Rev. A product, in which Apple usually does some screwing up?
     
  15. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #15
    wait until NEXT summer and get one with nehalem, that will be the big speed increase
     
  16. steinlager macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    #16
    Or just save the money and invest in college :)

    He has a perfectly good computer right now (I have the same one) and I've used a Penryn 2.4 MBP. The speed differences are honestly extremely insignificant. Sure programs might open a second faster but other than that, there's really no need for another computer at all IMO.

    But of course, if you can afford it with no problems, I'd say wait for Montevina or even Nehalem. At least get a free ipod in September! :D
     
  17. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #17
    Now all of your opinions have been centered around him having the 2.2 right now. What if he didn't have a laptop right now? Penryn now, or Montevina later?(Note that if in fact Montevina doesn't come through, then Penryn will be the choice then again)
     
  18. steinlager macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    #18
    I still say wait for Montevina. Assuming it's released in June/July, problems with the 1st gen products should be fixed by September/October latest. Your brother will then have (maybe) the new-looking MBP :D
     
  19. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #19
    Good point on the new looks. Or... actually.. a new thought just crept onto me... maybe I'll give him my MBP (see sig), telling him how education is important, so he should have mine, leaving me able to get the new Montevina.. .muahahaaha!!:D
     
  20. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #20
    I would definitely wait. The laptop should still be under warranty (even if he didn't purchase AppleCare). Have it checked out... for Penryn, and maybe even Montevina, you are only going to see small performance gains by switching to a newer generation. Save yourself $$$, buy AppleCare, and buy new every 3 or so years when the warranty is up. By that time, upgrading to the newest generation will actually mean something.

    In the mean time, investing in maxing out the ram or upgrading to a faster/larger hard drive will be much cheaper AND will give you a bigger performance gain than going to the newer generation MBP.
     
  21. Antares macrumors 68000

    Antares

    #21
    Well, my advice to "your bother" (I get it ;);)) would be to wait. "Your brother's" current laptop should hold him over a pretty long time to see what comes up. Rumors are rumors for a reason...they may or may not actually pan out. See what comes out in June and think more about it then. "He" ;) doesn't need to make a choice just yet. As the months go by, the release date rumors may be backed up by more firm facts....

    And if Montevina does get released this Summer, I would think that this would take place in June and not some arbitrary back-to-school date. If they don't get released in June, you bet it would be next January. It's only what? 2 and 1/2 months away?
     

Share This Page