hmmm in need of advice...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonezyAlz, Aug 27, 2009.

1. JonezyAlz macrumors newbie

JonezyAlz

Hi All,

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro currently with Leopard 10.5.8 on it. Every now and then for no apparent reason it crashes and i have to shut down and re-start (happend twice today already and 3 times in the previous couple of days GRR)

I've ordered the Snow Leopard upgrade which is coming tomorrow and was wondering should I just put it in and upgrade straight away....or... should I re-install Leopard and all the updates, then upgrade to Snow Leopard and then put my files back on? Random question Im sorry but Im not sure which is the best way of going about it so I don't get problems if its already crashing now

Thanks

Alexandra

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Apparently, Snow Leopard will include the option to perform a "Clean Install" -- meaning the ability to erase the computer entirely (including any of your stuff), and reinstall. This means that you wouldn't have to install Leopard first.

If you wanted, you could try doing this clean install option. Hopefully this would take care of the problem. If it didn't, I'd say take it to an Apple Store.

3. tekio macrumors regular

I'd backup your data & just do a fresh install of snow leopard, instead of upgrading leopard.

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I would try and get rid of the crashing problem before installing snow leopard. Have you tried repairing permissions? reset PRAM? logged in as different user?

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Before I wasted time installing SL I'd try to figure out why you are getting the crashes. Are these crashes within apps or full-on kernal panics? Check out Console and see what happened just before the crash. At any rate I'd take it into an Apple Store and see if they can figure it out since its still on warranty.

6. JonezyAlz thread starter macrumors newbie

JonezyAlz

ooo I didn't realise it offered a fresh install wiping the entire disk. Thats neat.

how do I reset PRAM and repair permissions? Ill set up another user and try running under that for a while, problem is I cant tie anything that Im doing/done to the crashes to know what's causing it and the report it comes up with means nothing to me really!

7. JonezyAlz thread starter macrumors newbie

JonezyAlz

I guess by full on kernal panics you mean the screen comes up saying I need to hold down the power button? It does that and sometimes just has a black screen in which nothing is there.

Nearest apple store is about hour and half away I think so that will be my last resort as I dont have much time when I head back to university next week.

I know its happened a bit over last few days but since I got it in May its only crashed about 5 or so times. Is this normal? I ask because this is my first Mac, only ever had windows before and got so used to that crashing it seemed normal haha

8. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

9. JonezyAlz thread starter macrumors newbie

JonezyAlz