Hmmm...this is sort of interesting.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jul 10, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i pretty much review 2 websites at work during the day....MacRumors.com and CNN.com

front page of cnn has a poll about 3/4 of the way down on the right......

interesting for a few reasons. out of 81k+ people (so far....i'm sure a ton more will vote during the day), not many seem to choose the iphone.

thoughts? what do you think the primary demographic is that took the poll?

Quick Vote
    Do you have, or do you plan to buy, an iPhone?
    Yes 12% 10052
    No 88% 71338
    Total Votes: 81390

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

If 12% of the US buys an iphone there will be 36million iphone users...just in the US, probably 75-100million worldwide

...that's A LOT for 1 phone

Figure minimum $100 profit for each, apple makes 10billion =)

3. yode macrumors 6502

Also think about the demographic who are browsing CNN

4. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

huh? not 12% of the U.S. that's 12% of 81,000 people that took the poll.

5. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

CNN = Old people. Just kidding. I just voted "Yes" and was pretty suprised at how few of us there are.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yes, but that group is meant to broadly represent the American populace (or at least CNN would like to think so.

7. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

elaborate.

for instance....i browse it ALL the time, just as much as MacRumors.

Me = 29, white, investment banker, Dallas TX, not married, no kids, 1 dog

what do you think the demographic is? personally, i was thinking more kids/teens viewed macrumors....but in another poll i submitted about age, it showed i was wrong.

anyway, i found it interesting to say the least. i'm always curious about statistics/numbers and how it affects the market.

8. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

no, that group represents the total number of people that took the poll at any given time. PERIOD!

i'd say an 81,000 poll is a better representation than a poll on macrumors where only 500 people voted.

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I don't think CNN seriously puts any significance in the results of those polls. They are mainly an interactive feature to drive people to the website (the polls are mentioned on the broadcast) to drive up web revenue and to get people clicking more.

10. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

It's a completely unscientific poll that can in no way be used to represent the American Populace. Especially since it is a left leaning news agency, so you will naturally get more left leaning people taking the poll. Go on the Fox News site and you'll get exactly the opposite affect.

11. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

I think the numbers skew low because of the fact that the vast majority of iPhone users are younger and the vast majority of younger people either a.) skip news sites entirely or b.) get their news from "alternative sources" and avoid the CNNs, FOXs, and MSNBCs. I could be wrong about this, but I imagine the iPhone would do much better in a poll conducted on Facebook, for example.

12. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'm pretty sure that the iPhone is an apolitical advice.

13. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

what the hell are you talking about?!?

left leaning? right leaning? republican? democrat? none of that has anything to do with a simple poll. it's just a phone and a poll asking if someone already owns it or plans to own it. how does politics/beliefs factor into who votes on it?

14. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

Not so long as ManBearPig sits on Apple's Board of Directors!

/snark

15. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

You assume that this forum is mainly teens/kids, wouldn't that mean we get 20 topics an hour about the same thing and msn messenger type conversations within threads?! Hang on a sec, I think you're right :) hahah

16. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Yes it is. However, there would be a lot of traits shared amongst the users of the site, leaning to one side or the other of the policitical spectrum may affect the poll results. To have a truly scientific poll you need to take your random sample from a base that has no specific bias.

17. yode macrumors 6502

Yea like the guy above me said it would be a better poll if it was done on a website like Google.com. It is a website that EVERYONE goes to..

18. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i completely agree, but that's also what i find so intriguing.

here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=501712

from this poll on MR, it shows that a lot of the members are actually older and in a CNN demographic (probably 25+ years old). so, by that rationale, you'd think that the iphone appealed to the 'older' crowd just as much as the 'younger' crowd......which in turn would translate over to the CNN poll (since most people think the 'older' crowd would go to CNN). Though, it appears not.

honestly, it appears that not many people really give a darn about the iphone. *gasp* i know, how dare i say that on an apple fan site....but maybe that's the truth?

*as a disclaimer, i'm not labeling anyone 'old' or 'young' or trying to hurt anyone's feelings by saying noone cares about the iphone.

19. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Exactly...that's still not perfect but it would be more accurate.

Yeah it's absolutely the truth. In the grand scheme of things it's insignificant.

My gaming guild is basically a close group of friends that live across the US, Canada, and 1 in Australia. When we find cool stuff, we post about it. No one has posted about the iPhone yet. I just discovered that Spore is being developed for the iPhone...I'll probably post about it in the general Spore topic we have there just to see if it sparks discussion about the game...and the iPhone itself.

20. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i agree too. a poll on google would be perfect. though the CNN poll is in no way designed to be 'scientific', it's still interesting to see......considering thousands of people all over the world vote on it.....compared to the hundreds that vote on a MR poll.

21. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

I would just point out one thing about your MacRumors age poll results: The people here are people who not only love their iPhones, but love them enough to seek out OTHER people on the internet who love their iPhones. THAT demographic may skew slightly older than the larger "iPhone Lover" demographic, based on the idea that the younger end of that stratum has grown up with cell phone technology and take its many permutations more for granted. Just a theory...

22. frosse macrumors 6502a

Dont you say that 1000 ppl is when there is a statistical basis?

Here's almost 80 thousand. But then of course you'll have to count in CNN's viewers.

23. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Well that's a perfect example in the oppsosite direction. If Google makes a poll more accurate because "everyone" visits Google...Then an MR poll would be much less accurate since we Apple/iPhone fans hang out here. It's an even more specific bias than a site like CNN presents.

24. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

The 80k is a sub population of the larger american population. The 80k have a specific interest and many of them have specific biases. Taking 1000 from that 80k is inaccurate for a scientific poll.

Think about it this way.
    You have a town of 100,000.
    A new Airport is being built on one side of the town.
    10,000 people stand to be affected by the location of the airport due to noise.

If you conducted a poll to find out if people wanted the airport, and picked your sample only from the 10,000 that will be affected...your results will be skewed because of their bias against the airport. A more accurate sample would be to take the sample from the population of the city as a whole...not a specific part.