Hmmm Why Does My Browser Slow Down When There's Too Many Flash Images?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I use Netscape on my eMac and whenever there's those flash ads on the sites, the browser slows down a bit. If I have more than one window w/ these ads it sometimes just stops, and I can't do anythin'?? I'll have to force quit. I have 768 mb of RAM. Is it the computer, or the browser? Video card maybe?

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Safari is much faster than the other OS X browsers when dealing with flash from my experience, but flash does perform surprisingly badly on OS X in general. Apparently the new version in development is significantly faster on macs.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Hmm.... I'm so used to usin' Netscape.... I guess I could try it.... Are there any distinct advantages of Safari?

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
SamIchi said:
Hmm.... I'm so used to usin' Netscape.... I guess I could try it.... Are there any distinct advantages of Safari?
Everything?

Just EVERYTHING about Shiira, Safari, and Firefox. Try ANY of those and enrich your internet experience. The only thing worse then netscape is IE itself.

kyle

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
OK i'm usin' Safari now, I transfered all my Bookmarks, and went through the preferences. One thing that I'm missin' is the "new tab" button that was on the Netscape browser, unless I overlooked it. I used that button alot a hella lot. I know I can just ctrl click but it's a nuissance. Hmm.. Well I'll keep usin' and see how I like it. I might try the other browsers too. What do you guys reccomend? Firefox etc....

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
SamIchi said:
OK i'm usin' Safari now, I transfered all my Bookmarks, and went through the preferences. One thing that I'm missin' is the "new tab" button that was on the Netscape browser, unless I overlooked it. I used that button alot a hella lot. I know I can just ctrl click but it's a nuissance. Hmm.. Well I'll keep usin' and see how I like it. I might try the other browsers too. What do you guys reccomend? Firefox etc....
If you want to open up a link in a new tab, hold down command button (apple button) and click on the link.
To navigate between tabs hold down command-shift and use the arrow keys to navigate left or right.
To scroll through the different windows you have open, hold down command and press ~ (look at the top left of your keyboard under esc).
Don't forget you can tell Safari to block pop up windows under the Safari menu, or press command-k.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
SamIchi said:
I use Netscape on my eMac and whenever there's those flash ads on the sites, the browser slows down a bit. If I have more than one window w/ these ads it sometimes just stops, and I can't do anythin'?? I'll have to force quit. I have 768 mb of RAM. Is it the computer, or the browser? Video card maybe?
We had a thread about this a while ago, and it turns out that the Flash player on the Mac simply sucks. As does the JVM. Many web pages with annoying little flash ads spin 100% of the cpu while on a windows machine they take only a small amount. My 1.5 ghz 17" powerbook should be able to handle it, so obviously the Flash player for the Mac is in need of serious optimization.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
darkwing said:
We had a thread about this a while ago, and it turns out that the Flash player on the Mac simply sucks. As does the JVM. Many web pages with annoying little flash ads spin 100% of the cpu while on a windows machine they take only a small amount. My 1.5 ghz 17" powerbook should be able to handle it, so obviously the Flash player for the Mac is in need of serious optimization.
I agreed. Even with flash professional mx2004, it seriously need some optimization on Mac OS. If Adobe software can perform so much better, I don't see why macromedia software are so slow. Both software run on par with their respective PC version but their Mac version are so much different.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Even Safari and FireFox will struggle with too many Flash animations on one page. If tou need to see someting on the page (that is not Flash) you may temporary turn of support for plug-ins, and the Flash files won't load.

If you're switch to FireFox you may also install an Extention called Adblock which is specially designed to remove annoying Flash files through filtering, letting you filter out the unnecessary Flash animations and keeping those you want to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.